Flight Helmet Identification

Robbo102

Hi Everyone

I'm new to the forum and wonder if anyone could help me with identifying a helmet I've recently acquired.

I've done some basic research and this would indicate that it's possibly Russian. Maybe 70's or 80's ??

It was obviously done to decieve as it's got a USN Stamp mark 1942.

It wasn't expensive so the money side is of no great importance. I'd just like to know exactly what it is.

It's a shame that it's got the stamp markings as this spoils it completely. It doesn't appear to have been issued as it's in pristine condition together with the throat mic.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Robbo

post-154952-0-25492400-1416143880.jpg

post-154952-0-26517100-1416143909.jpg

Hello Robbo,

helmet is one of three-four variations of Russian-made, ShZ-50 helmets family. Actually a direct development of russian models as used in WW2, it is earlier than you think - it comes from very early '50s (Sh are the first two letters of a Russian term for "helmet" - aplied to many models).

The carachteristic padded "crest" at top is for fitting, if needed, into correspondent recess inside a "hard helmet" for jet planes operations; it would somehow lock in position the external hard dome, and does have the comm. system

This system too, shows a greatly marked resemblance with German WW2 helmets, the integrated throat mike and the unmistakable multi-pin terminal radio jack wich is being used still today in high-altitude helmets.

The lower, chromed snap button in front of earphone cups will keep a sort of hook (here absent) wich in turn, will retain the early KM-15 oxygen mask.

hope this can help. Greetings from Italy, Franco.

Even if slightly OT,

here my MiG-25 high-altitude mannequin pilot does show the terminal cable and multi-pin jack (from the inner, soft helmet), virtually unchanged through almost 50 years in Soviet-designed helmets:

post-151851-0-54203500-1416149479.jpg

post-151851-0-98625500-1416149497.jpg

Hi Franco

Thank you very much for the information. It's much appreciated. So it is earlier than I thought. I hadn't realised they were being worn so late.

Here's a couple more pics. It's a shame someone has spoiled it with the stamp marks. I'm amazed at what some people will do !

Robbo

post-154952-0-00531300-1416154131.jpg

post-154952-0-68184800-1416154144.jpg

Actually, to be correct 100% must say the inner soft helmet being worn here on my pilot is not your model - unchanged are the comm.system (less the throat mike, of course) and the terminal jack. This latter, in my instance has its cable passing through a bakelite-rubber grommet wich do seal the neck "skirt", then will connect to soft helmet's own jack.

Your was extensively used aboard MiG-15 and Mig-17, in fact so many pics do exist of North Vietnam's fighter pilots wearing "primitive" clothing and equippments if compared to late '60s period - they were flying in combat ops. wearing exactly your ShZ-50 model.

As for fakers' ability in doing what they so skillfully do... nothing wrong in you staying astonished :rolleyes: , but believe me it's the least thing if we talk of ink stamps. Two years ago I really was last-moment saved from purchasing a 7.5"-barreled Colt SAA revolver (from the 1880s) to implement my small collection of Western-related firearms.

Revolver itself was indeed from 1886 as for correct s/n, no doubt about. But the longer barrel in "US Cavalry" configuration (wich was responsible in bringing up very much its price) has been added in incredibly, astounding way by who knows genius in gunsmithing - an extension from a 5.5" barrel in .45 caliber, so amazingly welded, adjusted and re-finished that could deceive even a true expert in this field...

..incredible indeed.

Franco.

I am not certain but I thought the brown leather was used mostly by the Chinese. This has the green cloth inside and I thought this was also Chinese. I am not certain though. There are a ton of these for sale on EBAY. It is definitely not US but someone certainly tried to make it look that way.

The ShZ-50 is the leather variant of the "summer" cloth ShL-50 Soviet helmet, yet they of course have inspired the Chinese ones too wich were, in all aspects, true copies.

The same way the Luftwaffe's oxy. mask mod. 10-67 (type III) had done in inspiring the soviet KM-15 (and KM-15M) post-WW2 mask

Thank you again for all the help. In this instance no harm done as it came almost as a "freebie". It was included with an Irvin flying jacket that I acquired.

Apart from the spurious markings it's still a nice example and a nice addition to the collection.

Robbo