A Vietnam war era US Navy EODGRUPAC patch

Patchcollector

Patchcollector

Happy Saturday all,

I picked this one up a little while back.These guys worked in small teams,usually involved with Ordnance removal.I believe that this unit was involved with SEAL/UDT ops.

The patch design is interesting.I've never seen a Dolphin with teeth like that,and gills! :lol: The creature appears to be a combination of a Dolphin and a Shark.Probably some symbolism of a combined unit/Ops going on there..

Here is some EOD info I found online.I highlighted the area that was specific to this unit:

Navy Explosive Ordnance Disposal teams trace their history back to the first group of volunteers selected to work with the famed British UXO teams, following the initial German Blitzkrieg attacks in early 1940. In June 1941, these veterans returned to form the first class in what was originally named the Mine Recovery School. Officers and enlisted personnel entered the eleven-week school, qualifying as Mine Recovery Personnel/Second Class Divers. Between June 1941 and October 1945, nineteen classes graduated and deployed throughout the Pacific and Mediterranean theaters. Divided into Mobile Explosive Investigative Units (MEIU) they were instrumental in the clearance of explosive hazards both on land and at sea. The Korean War saw a return to action on various minesweepers ensuring the continual clearance of shipping hazards. Additionally, the now renamed Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) Units took part in inland intelligence operations and interacted with ground-based units in Inchon, Wonson and throughout the United Nations Theater of operations.

The Vietnam War saw an increase in overall participation by EOD units. Units from EOD Group Pacific, Pearl Harbor, Hawaii deployed throughout the region. EODGRUPAC was composed of Mobile Unit, Shipboard Unit and Training and Evaluation Unit personnel. Deployed teams onboard ships at sea were composed of one officer and two enlisted men. Teams in-country were larger and were based from the Mekong Delta (RIVFLOT 1) to DaNang. With an overall emphasis in sea and riverine mine clearance operations, these teams ensured the continued safety for shipping and maritime operations.

Since the close of the Vietnam War, the ever-changing world situation and increased operational tasking have prompted the expansion of EOD units in number, size and capabilities. Their impressive record in recent history includes the Gulf War where EOD Technicians cleared in excess of 500 naval mines. EOD was the critical element in eliminating unexploded ordnance from the USS Stark (FFG-31) after two Exocet anti-ship missiles fired from an Iraqi aircraft hit her. EOD developed render safe procedures on-site to prevent a catastrophe. During joint operations in Somalia, Haiti, Bosnia, and Kosovo, EOD provided safety and operational continuity by eliminating booby traps, weapons caches, and performing mine clearance operations. EOD units are presently serving in Afghanistan and Iraq where they are supporting the global war against terrorism, destroying tons of post war ordnance and reducing the threat imposed by Improvised Explosive Devices (IED) that have plagued both countries. Forward deployed and fully integrated within the various Special Operations units within the U.S. Navy and Army, the present day EOD technician has changed greatly from that first Mine Recovery class of 1941. But one thing that has never changed is the level of professionalism and dedication that has been the cornerstone of the program.

The patch itself looks to me to be US made on Twill,is large and has no plastic back.

All comments and any additional info about the patch/unit are most welcome!

post-13386-0-22776400-1416077148.jpg

This EOD unit must have had some sort of joint training or exercise with the Japanese Defense Force as this commemoration patch sold recently on eBay. I can't make out what it says at the base of the patch. I tried for it but got outbid.

post-1389-0-29145000-1416113274.jpg

post-1389-0-16650000-1416113288.jpg

This EOD unit must have had some sort of joint training or exercise with the Japanese Defense Force as this commemoration patch sold recently on eBay. I can't make out what it says at the base of the patch. I tried for it but got outbid.

I can't quite make out the first half, but it appears to say: "83-2 JA MINEX". So I would guess an exercise involving disarming mines.

RC

I just realized that the patch in my collection is a slight variation of your patch. The lettering is a little different as well as the color of the swim mask and fins. So there are at least two variations of this patch out there for collectors.

post-1389-0-95849100-1416272055.jpg

post-1389-0-26648000-1416272068.jpg

Patchcollector

I just realized that the patch in my collection is a slight variation of your patch. The lettering is a little different as well as the color of the swim mask and fins. So there are at least two variations of this patch out there for collectors.

Yours appears to be Asian made,probably Japanese.