arjones

Found in the attic of my recently purchased farm in Normandy

Complete (all 28 panels) camouflaged parachute

Canopy Assy DoR NC 4282019-2

Order No 43-9399-AF

Serial No 42.976666

Date Aug 1943

Manufacturer Pioneer Parachute Co Ltd

Does anyone know if this is linkable to a unit / parachutist?

Regards Adrian

post-155017-0-08498700-1415995788.jpg

And that was just an answer, perhaps I should have worded it ......Sorry but that is not possible to make any correlation to individual or unit. Sorry for the aggressiveness.

Where is your farm located, might narrow it down if not a lot of troopers hit the ground there. Nice chute Paul

I only ask because, as an ex Brit paratrooper, during the 80's British chutes were linked to the user so I wondered if American ones were too.. thanks for that answer though.

The farm is some 10 miles to the south east of Carentan .. yes some planes did drop their guys in this area .. it was from the 101st .. 507th and 501st ended up assembling / fighting a couple of miles to the west at a place called Graignes.

I've not replied soon to everyone as a newbie I'm constrained in the amount of times I can post !! I need to be approved ;)

Displaying it is going to be a b*tch though...

As a matter of fact it is traceable. Take the last three digits of the serial number (666). This chute clearly belonged to a member of the "baggy legged devils"! ;)

Ronnie

I only ask because, as an ex Brit paratrooper, during the 80's British chutes were linked to the user so I wondered if American ones were too.. thanks for that answer though.

The farm is some 10 miles to the south east of Carentan .. yes some planes did drop their guys in this area .. it was from the 101st .. 507th and 501st ended up assembling / fighting a couple of miles to the west at a place called Graignes.

I've not replied soon to everyone as a newbie I'm constrained in the amount of times I can post !! I need to be approved ;)

Welcome to the forum

US chutes normally had a log book with them backed in a pocket on the container.Would detail packing,repars,chute serial number,initials/name of the rigger etc.

I had a log book in a pilots seat pack and the pilot had his name also on the book.

One chute I have the man put his name on the pack with a piece of webbing with his name stenciled on it.

I wouldn't want to see another forum member stressed or burdened, so I'll gladly pay postage & you can send it to me...I'll go through the agonizing labor of displaying it, and you will be free of all the stress caused by such a large & cumbersome item!! ?

Great find and nice pictures from Johan.

If I were arjones I would buy a metal detector and search the area.

Visited the Château Le Bel Enault in the St. Come-du-Mont area a couple of times and got a tour from the British owner.

Col. Johnson 501st PIR landed in front of the Château, his parachute and harnass have been found and left where they are since 1944.

Last 3 digits of the Serial number (666) of the chute remind me of the “Filthy Thirteen”, members of the 1st Demolition Section of the Regimental Headquarters Company 506th Parachute Infantry.

Visited the Château Le Bel Enault in the St. Come-du-Mont area a couple of times and got a tour from the British owner.

Col. Johnson 501st PIR landed in front of the Château, his parachute and harnass have been found and left where they are since 1944.

Last 3 digits of the Serial number (666) of the chute remind me of the “Filthy Thirteen”, members of the 1st Demolition Section of the Regimental Headquarters Company 506th Parachute Infantry.

Great idea Hank... actually though we have one but the owner of the land was a German collaborator and went around stealing a lot of stuff from the locals ... cows, land, houses, metal etc etc.

Just prior to buying it, the Notaire (French state lawyer responsible for the sale) had over 70 tons (!!!) of scrap metal removed. Since buying it we have removed a further 6 tons ... everything from an old car subframe and chassis through to old moulds for the local brickworks.

I've stopped using the metal detector due to all the false positives .. I got sick of digging up rubbish. I know .. I know .. I'll have missed something but you are most welcome to come and dig yourself !!!

I have found this though....

Great idea Hank... actually though we have one but the owner of the land was a German collaborator and went around stealing a lot of stuff from the locals ... cows, land, houses, metal etc etc.

Just prior to buying it, the Notaire (French state lawyer responsible for the sale) had over 70 tons (!!!) of scrap metal removed. Since buying it we have removed a further 6 tons ... everything from an old car subframe and chassis through to old moulds for the local brickworks.

I've stopped using the metal detector due to all the false positives .. I got sick of digging up rubbish. I know .. I know .. I'll have missed something but you are most welcome to come and dig yourself !!!

I have found this though....

post-155017-0-03221900-1416383917.jpg

Visited many Chambres d'hôtes/bed and breakfasts all over France in the past.

Always amazed by the amount of rubbish, old cars, washing machines etc. the French leave in their backyards.

What’s the item you dug up?

A belt buckle, lighter?

Visited many Chambres d'hôtes/bed and breakfasts all over France in the past.

Always amazed by the amount of rubbish, old cars, washing machines etc. the French leave in their backyards.

What’s the item you dug up?

A belt buckle, lighter?

Looks like a money clip ....