Experimental camo cover on eBay

1966ww2collector

Sold for over 3 grand?! Well I gotta say, I think that's just a stupid price....wow!

Is it? How many have come on the market? Thats really me just asking I'm not up on these covers that well. I've only seen 3 ever including this one. The other two were in private collections.

At that price, I'm sure it will be in good hands!!

We should have pooled our money and then we could have gotten it. But we would have to set up visitation days :)

It's in the realm on Waffen SS covers, not an absurd price but still, the damage would have prevented this from being at what...5K cover?

True and I've seen many more SS covers come up for sale than this type of US cover.

I think it's along the lines of the 1941 canteen...the value is whatever it takes to make it yours...there is no market value, because there are none on the market! They will only increase over time. In another 10 years, it will probably go for 6 or 7...

We should have pooled our money and then we could have gotten it. But we would have to set up visitation days :)

I'll take weekends & holidays...you see it off to school!!

Well I guess its all very subjective, on reflection I think that the rarity of it can maybe make it worth that to someone. I guess it's really no different than a marked airborne lid which would easily come in at more than that price.

I think I was just shocked at the huge jump in price at the end....

Well I guess its all very subjective, on reflection I think that the rarity of it can maybe make it worth that to someone. I guess it's really no different than a marked airborne lid which would easily come in at more than that price.

I think I was just shocked at the huge jump in price at the end....

Yeah that jump was crazy. I figured around 1500-1800 and then my brain sort of shut down looking at such big numbers.

I doubt the winner is going to follow through, I would rather take a non paying bidder strike

the winner could even be a friend of the seller that bid high to drive the price up?

What makes you say this?

The seller originally didn't even know what he has and almost ended for a $250 Buy It Now, what makes you think he's having his friend bid on it?

J

That is way out of what I would have been willing to pay for a helmet cover.

It would have had to be General Patton's cover for me to spend that much money on it.

Just my opinion.

Anyway, good luck to the buyer.

I was in at 1509 and i had a feeling it was gonna go for 2K but 3K was a shock, but likes been said this is only like the 2nd one ive ever seen come up for sale and maybe only 4-6 known to exhist that im guessing, they probably only made around 100 of these and there were at least two variations....chicken lips are easier to find....worth every penny in my book!!!......mike

I was in at 1509 and i had a feeling it was gonna go for 2K but 3K was a shock, but likes been said this is only like the 2nd one ive ever seen come up for sale and maybe only 4-6 known to exhist that im guessing, they probably only made around 100 of these and there were at least two variations....chicken lips are easier to find....worth every penny in my book!!!......mike

Yup, like I said only the 3rd one I've ever seen, and really all of this stuff is just old steel and cloth. We set the prices by how much we want them, and someone wanted it 3k badly.

Mikey,

Why did you bid? You have a footlocker full of them! As Kammo-man stated this is good for the US Militaria collecting field. It validates the collectibility of our own Nations artifacts.

Imagine this example were named or ID'd?

Mikey,

Why did you bid? You have a footlocker full of them! As Kammo-man stated this is good for the US Militaria collecting field. It validates the collectibility of our own Nations artifacts.

Imagine this example were named or ID'd?

nahhhh....i didnt want it cuz of the rip on top there! :lol: .......... :love:

No surprise at the final price on this beauty. And like Mike and others have said, its extreme rarity justifies it, as far as I'm concerned.

I saw one of these at the great Western Show many years ago, but it was green-to-tan 'flage instead of tan 'flage-to-O.D..

Man, I wish I'd have bought it :wacko:

Is it? How many have come on the market? Thats really me just asking I'm not up on these covers that well. I've only seen 3 ever including this one. The other two were in private collections.

There was another on ebay a year or two ago.Dont recall.It was out of califonia if I remember correctly.I think the seller deals a lot in old movie stock surplus and also reneactor gear.Dont recall the price.Maybe this is the same one and just returned to the narket by the buyer?

The last one I remember was the one that was pictured in Steel Pots. I think it was the usual brown side/green side configuration, and it didn't sell for nearly as much. I'm thinking maybe $1,200?