USAF hand made quilted 23rd CAMRON patch

Siamundo

Normally I do not pick up many US Air Force maintenance squadron patches, but as nice as this one looks I couldn't say no. I am guessing it might be Vietnamese made but I could not find out much information on line about the unit.

post-2744-0-59058000-1415891355.jpg

Patchcollector

Nice patch.

I have a few theatre made USAF Maintenance Squadron pieces in my collection,but not many.For some reason they don't seem to be very common.

Great looking patch and probably one of the earliest USAF in Vietnam patches.

From what I can find this unit was part of the 23rd Air Base Group stationed at DaNang AB and probably took care of the C-123's(Providers) used in Project Mule Train.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Da_Nang_Air_Base

This unit at DaNang is NOT part of the 23d Tactical Fighter Wing, that was stationed at McConnell AFB at the Time. The 23d Air Base Group was assigned to Second Air Division.

Terry L Horstead

This unit at DaNang is NOT part of the 23d Tactical Fighter Wing, that was stationed at McConnell AFB at the Time. The 23d Air Base Group was assigned to Second Air Division.

Terry L Horstead

I don't get your point? I never mentioned the 23rd TFW.

Just trying to stop a miss conception as most people will link a Maintenance Squadron to a Wing or Group. In this case the 23d ABG is a MAJCOM (PACAF) Designated Group (What the Air Force considers as Provisional / Experditionary) rather then the AF Controlled 23rd (Tactical) Fighter Wing/Group.

Terry L Horstead

Just trying to stop a miss conception as most people will link a Maintenance Squadron to a Wing or Group. In this case the 23d ABG is a MAJCOM (PACAF) Designated Group (What the Air Force considers as Provisional / Experditionary) rather then the AF Controlled 23rd (Tactical) Fighter Wing/Group.

Terry L Horstead

Terry,

Thanks.I first thought 23rd TFW, my old unit from England AFB.I have the AF campaign register that covers up to the early part of the Vietnam war.It listed the 23rd CAMRON receiving advisory campaigns and showed the 23rd ABG with the same.Well being ex-military I put 2 & 2 together and came up with 5.

That is one awesome looking patch.

Thank you one and all for all of your input and information regarding this unit. The information has been extremely helpful and I do appreciate it!!