Need help with medal & hat badge ID.

This is a photograph of my Great Grandfather. I found online that he was with Company "L" of Baltimore. Mustered-in as sergeant; appointed first sergeant September 23d. It looks like he is wearing the Spanish Campaign Navy Special Meritorious Service Medal. Can anyone verify if that is what this medal is? Also, I'm confused by the fact that he was with company L, but hat badge looks to be a "C" or "G" with a 4 on top? TIA!

post-154978-0-10163900-1415792655.jpg

If what you say is correct, then this is probably a picture of him in a different unit. Note that he has corporal's stripes. See if you can find any references to Company C (or G) of the 4th Maryland Infantry.

It's not the Specially Meritorious Medal, but more likely a Maryland state award. If you search this site for "Specially Meritorious Medal", you'll find some good images of original pieces. Unfortunately, there's no good source on Maryland state awards, but one of the members here might recognize the medal.

If what you say is correct, then this is probably a picture of him in a different unit. Note that he has corporal's stripes. See if you can find any references to Company C (or G) of the 4th Maryland Infantry.

I have searched and searched and can't find him listed with any other company. Would you agree that it's a "4" and a "C" or "G"? This is definatley a uniform from the Spanish-American War era, right?

I was just checking out the collection on ebay that rustbucket recently posted about. The collection is from Major J.B. Phipps who was with the 4th regiment in Baltimore. There are a few rosters in the collections as well as many photographs. I've emailed the seller to see if there's anything in there pertaining to my great-grandfather. Who knows, I might get lucky. Anyway, I noticed this medal in the collection. What is it? It's similar in shape to the one my great-gradfather is wearing and has a "4" on it. My GGF has a "4" on his hat badge . . .

post-154978-0-59673100-1415823891.jpg

4 Badge.tiff

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks JB! Any insight on the cap?

It a Model 1895 cap. Based on this soldier being identified to the Maryland National Guard, it's safe to say that's a Maryland State Seal superimposed over the crossed rifles of the 4th Infantry Regiment hat badge.