WWI Poppy Memorial at the Tower of London

gwb123

This is staggering... 800+ thousand ceramic poppies planted at the Tower of London to commemorate the dead of World War I. This will be on display for the next month or so.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-30000675

This has been months in the making and involved hundreds of volunteers.

It looks to be an overwhelming site that really brings home the enormity of loss to just one nation during the War to End All Wars.

I remember a few months ago they were doing pre-sales of the poppies for when the memorial is taken down and every single one is sold out. I regret not purchasing one. That would be a neat part of history.

Mike

If something is being planned in the US, it is not being publicized very well.

The UK had almost 7 times the casualties that the US did, and with what I believe was a smaller population. In some ways, the losses are still felt to this day.

I would keep an eye on the website for the National World War I museum in Kansas City. If anyone will commemorate the event from a US perspective, they surely will.

I've visited the Tower about 3 times to see the Poppies - very impressive. Just about every town and village lost someone in the Great War. Our lack of manpower in WW2 was a direct result of the losses we suffered in the Great War. My family lost two members. It never ceases to amaze me when you see some village War memorials and the staggering loss of so many from one small place. Not uncommon to see many family members on the same memorial.

Some of the pictures I took at the Tower.

Rich

post-1878-0-37044300-1416251742.jpg

post-1878-0-95316100-1416251778.jpg

Very impressive, great to see the state sponsoring a such great monument honoring the war dead. Reading books on the Great War this seems to stand in contrast to the way the waring governments of that era treated their soldiers (all nations).

does France have plans to commemorate the 100th anniversary? Maybe at Verdun?

Very impressive, great to see the state sponsoring a such great monument honoring the war dead. Reading books on the Great War this seems to stand in contrast to the way the waring governments of that era treated their soldiers (all nations).

does France have plans to commemorate the 100th anniversary? Maybe at Verdun?

The French actually had their ceremony at The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier ( Arc de Triomphe) last week. I don't know if they've planned another.