1st brigade

RAZGY

Hi,

have a question to 1st brigade (1st infantry division). I have found these 2 insignia. are they for the same unit / era ? witch of them is 70´´ - vietnam era?

thanks for help.

stefan

post-152466-0-55407500-1415739382.jpg

post-152466-0-55669900-1415739504.jpg

The one with the diamond and spade I have seen on Vietnam pics. I have seen one or two pics with troops wearing it posted on the board, too, but I can't find them.

I think the other one was not used past the late 50's early 60's but that's just a guess.

The 1st Infantry Brigade (Separate) Fort Benning Georgia.

post-34986-0-62215300-1415906528.jpg

1st Infantry Brigade was at Ft. Benning from 1958 to 1962 and not active at Ft. Riley until January 1964.

History: from the Army Center of Military History, or CMH.

Disbanded 27 January 1944 at Camp Mackall, North Carolina

Reconstituted 8 July 1958 in the Regular Army as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 1st Infantry Brigade

Activated 25 July 1958 at Fort Benning, Georgia

Inactivated 24 September 1962 at Fort Benning, Georgia

Redesignated 23 October 1963 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 1st Brigade, 1st Infantry Division

Activated 2 January 1964 at Fort Riley, Kansas

This was a pocket patch worn in Vietnam.

post-34986-0-54702400-1415907402.jpg

More stuff here on this 1st Brigade, 1st Infantry Division pocket patch. note the ROAD Divisional Brigades even though they were in Infantry Divisions, (likewise Armored Divisions) were not titled Infantry (Armor) Brigades, just simply Brigades. Only separate Infantry (Armor) Brigades of the Army (bothRegular and Reserve Componant) starting in the 1960s were titled Infantry (Armored), in example, the 172nd Infantry Brigade (Separate), the 86th Armored Brigade (Separate) Vermont National Guard)

This was a pocket patch worn in Vietnam.

attachicon.gift1st_bde_1st_inf_div.jpg

More stuff here on this 1st Brigade, 1st Infantry Division pocket patch. note the ROAD Divisional Brigades even though they were in Infantry Divisions, (likewise Armored Divisions) were not titled Infantry (Armor) Brigades, just simply Brigades. Only separate Infantry (Armor) Brigades of the Army (bothRegular and Reserve Componant) starting in the 1960s were titled Infantry (Armored), in example, the 172nd Infantry Brigade (Separate), the 86th Armored Brigade (Separate) Vermont National Guard)

thanks, this thread is source of my display. i was not sure, if this is the same unit - brigade

have never seen an original b/w patch, only subdued theater made pieces. on ebay are only these "theater made"..

Here you go, a Full Color 1st Brigade, 1st Infantry Division pocket patch in use as seen in this 1965 foto.

post-34986-0-36177300-1415927609.jpg

In the early days, 64-66 even a little later, the Full Color 1st Brigade ones would of been worn on fatique items, to include the Tropical Coats. I imagine they were U.S. made like all the rest of the Big Red one's Battalions but after a certain point no doubt, South Vietnamese made Full Color 1st Brigade pockets patches were made and worn along side U.S. made Full Color ones, just like all the rest of the Big Red One's Battalions.

As for the subdued 1st Brigade pocket patch? it should be taken as a given that the subdued ones would be exclusivly South Vietnamese "Theater"made, just as the other Battalion's subdued pocket patches of the Big Red One if they had subdued ones are.

As to Vietnam War era subdued 1st Brigade pocket patches on E-Bay, one has to be careful, like all these types they are heavily reproduced. If you find one, whether Full Color or Subdued, which you may want to buy, post it first on the Real of Fake Forum to see what the guys think.

have never seen an original b/w patch, only subdued theater made pieces. on ebay are only these "theater made"..

I thought patch only. photos witch patches are on google.

post-152466-0-18303900-1415985226.jpg