My latest pickup: Match Grade M1 Rifle

t_player

I'm not into weapons that much mostly field gear and uniforms but this $400.00 Garand came along and I just couldn't pass it up. I figured I could part it out for that much. Don't know that much about them!

post-69-0-70120400-1415734584.jpg

post-69-0-35861300-1415734598.jpg

post-69-0-07938300-1415734615.jpg

post-69-0-84331100-1415734640.jpg

post-69-0-84085500-1415734659.jpg

post-69-0-52007000-1415734683.jpg

post-69-0-40606700-1415734708.jpg

post-69-0-87554200-1415734746.jpg

Wow!!! Very nice indeed, what's the barrel date? That rear site looks match grade and with the tag on the side I'm guessing it was used in matches, just a guess, the markings on the barrel will tell, either way you just can't find these for that money anymore, congrats!

Fritz

I may be mistaken, but the numbers on that tag look like range settings for the sights. This may very well be a match weapon.

Definitely a match sight, what a beauty and a steal at $400! I've been dying to add a 2nd Garand to my collection. The only one readily available nearby is a minty stock with a '65 dated barrel for $1250, a bit out of my reach. Congrats!

From just looking at the rifle from the outside without taking it apart the rear sight is marked in a couple places with NM also the operating rod and gas cylinder what ever that means.

You can contact the Civilian Marksmanship Program (odcmp.com) and they'll check their records to tell you if this serial number was originally sold as a National Match rifle. If it was, you definitely don't want to part it out.

Heck, even if it wasn't a match grade rifle, it's still a nice, clean Garand and well worth $400!

Every bit of 400, very nice find and a phenomenal deal!!

Fritz

That may be a match rifle but it is not a military issued match rifle which command the big dollars. According to Canfield, the first NM rifles were produced in 1952 on new rifles, and the serial number on that rifle dates it to 1944. It's not uncommon to get NM parts with the old DCM & CMP rifles. The NM parts on this rifle alone are worth the cost of the rifle so the buyer did indeed do well. It's very obvious that the old owner shot competition with it by the paper taped to the stock. It would be interesting to find out where he shot.

Good buy.

I appreciate the fact that you included the price paid. Why? It gives me a gauge.

I do not think it's a negative if you paid high, low or market average. I think it gives others a realistic view. By no means am I saying people should post their paid price....I just appreciate it. again It gives me a gauge....maybe some hope as well.

It was common for shooters to apply their shooting dope to a match rifle. Here is another example. Is the stock bedded? I'm not trying to distort any information but finding a Garand for $400 is not something you can use as a gauge, it is an anomaly. I would consider $400 to be the extreme low and a flyer well outside of the normal shot group. You will have to work very hard to find one in that condition for that price but then again everyone gets lucky now and then.

post-2641-0-58909700-1416502562.jpg

Back in the day all these parts were available from the DCM and cheap. If you were a Camp Perry shooter the military armorers would up grade your rifle right in the trailer at the matches.It is possible to have a full Blown NM M1 that did not get upgraded at the arsenal.

Nice Garand,

$400, now there's a deal. Thought I got the best deal of November, I picked up a Garand for $168, but it was nowhere near as nice as this one, in fact the gunshop had a NM which was marked at $1600 w/o paperwork. Get the details from CMP then add it to the gun then your in the money. How does the barrel/chamber gauge? If she's a shooter your initial investment of $400 is an easy $1000, and if NM you'll be eating steak. B) Mine was a parter, this one is not that and if you do your only throwing steak away. Great find, excellent deal.

Best Regards

Jim

If it were mine, it couldn't be purchased for anywhere close to $400. Even the junk available through CMP now is more than that.

If it were mine, it couldn't be purchased for anywhere close to $400. Even the junk available through CMP now is more than that.

CMP sells various graded M1 rifles and receivers, none of it junk.