My latest acquisition - F-4 Ejection Seat

Cobrahistorian

Cobrahistorian

Hey all,

Just had this one pretty much fall in my lap. It is the rear seat from F-4J/S 155812, which served with both the Navy and the Marines from 1968-1985. The seat itself is dated 1967. Here's what we've been able to piece together so far on her service.

VF-31/AC101 (1968/69?, Airfix model kit has these markings.)...

VF-103/AC212 (1973)...

VF-101/AD112 (1975)...

Converted to F-4S (1981)...

VF-103/AA202 (1982)...

VMFA-251/DW04 (1984, see the list here: http://www.fighterco...p?f=18&p=333845, 155812 appears to be parked behind 155575/DW8)...

AMARC/8F0204 (1985).

post-5470-0-39385000-1415679600.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, that's pretty killer man! Thanks for posting it. Looks like you need a lot of parts but when it's done, it will have been worth it!!

Just how did you acquire this seat?? :)

-Derek

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Looks like she's a combat vet too. Vietnam cruise in 72-73 with VF-103.

Are you tracking the seat records, or the aircraft buno?

These seats did not stay with the buno for life. During overhaul it was common to have seats removed and newly reworked seats installed.

Chris

Aircraft. Didn't know there was a way to track seat serial number.

Thanks Chris!

Great looking seat!!

Unless you have the Aircraft logbook or the Ejection seat logbook (which is almost impossible to acquire) the actual history is tough to pin down. Seeing the Buno stenciled on the seat back is a good indication that seat was last installed in that particular Buno. I would imagine it would be a safe assumption that your seat probably saw numerous war cruises during Viet-nam.

Chris

northcoastaero

Understand. US Naval aviation used a BuNo. The USAF used a serial number such as 67-0321, with 67 representing the year 1967. I am almost certain that the USAF kept the same seat(s) with the same aircraft, where as the USN/USMC did not.