Rupture Duck Lamp found at flea market

navyman

Hi,

I found this rupture duck lamp at a flea market this morning. This lamp is fairly heavy, made out of a marble base and the rupture duck is made out of some kind of metal. Does anyone know if these were made commercialy or if this is a home made thing?

I thought this would look good in the war room and is some thing different. I paid $15.00 for this rupture duck lamp.

Jason

post-2501-1214998685.jpg post-2501-1214998696.jpg post-2501-1214998707.jpg

Brian Keith

JonG nailed it. It is made from one of the WW II veteran grave markers. The two loops on the back are to hold the flag to decorate the grave. My guess is that it was probably made by an individual, not a production item.

A lot of cemeteries don't allow these types of markers any more. They get it the way of mowing and grass trimming. Lots of them have been sent to the scrap yard. It is good that this one was saved and converted into an interesting, useful item.

I like it! I also think $15 is a very reasonable price to pay.

BKW

Thanks Brian and Jon,

Brian I'm glad you said that most cemetary don't use these anymore in the sense that I would feel sick if someone stolen this off a grave.

Thanks for the information guys,

Jason

I remember when veteran grave markers were common in old cemetarys. Then the Civil War markers seemed to mysteriously disappear from the graves and reappear at flea markets antique, gun and militaria shows. Later, ditto for WW1 and WW2 markers. Thankfully I saw many people refuse to buy them and chastise the dealers for selling them. I haven't seen any offered in years, except for Unused cast aluminum markers that were never placed at a grave. Whether this marker was taken from a grave or was from a wall plaque will never be known. There were Ruptured Duck accessories sold after the war, so this could be legit. Nice lamp anyway.