M-65 jacket w/ Phu Loi Patrol scroll, Combat Recon Patrol patch?

TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter

I got this at a large flea market, wondering if patches are legit or maybe done after the war? Any info would much appreciated. Bill

post-123772-0-16013900-1415671406.jpg

The CRP pocket patch has been a mystery (to me) for years......this sheds new light on the subject. Can we see photos of the whole jacket?

x23.jpg

What 1st Cavalry units were based out of Phu Loi? From my knowledge it was primarily an airstrip for 1st Infantry Division aviation units and cav units supporting the 1st ID.

I'm not familiar with the pocket patch but I would guess Aero Rifle or LRP unit for a cav company. Any name on or in the coat? More pics would help. Def a cool jacket.

I thought we'd ID'd the CRP patch but I can't find the thread.

There was at least a 1st Cav aviation unit at Phu Loi late war but I can't remember which one off the top of my head.

A yahoo or google search for "Phu Loi Patrol" brings up some contact info for vets who served in a unit with that name but I did not see a unit designation. Does look like it was recon unit. Might be worth it to shoot one of them an e-mail and ask if they recognize the patch or have any info. Here is a link to an e-mail:

http://www.vva.org/archive/TheVeteran/2002_08/locator.htm

TreasureHunter

A yahoo or google search for "Phu Loi Patrol" brings up some contact info for vets who served in a unit with that name but I did not see a unit designation. Does look like it was recon unit. Might be worth it to shoot one of them an e-mail and ask if they recognize the patch or have any info. Here is a link to an e-mail:

http://www.vva.org/archive/TheVeteran/2002_08/locator.htm

Email sent, worth a try. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Is there any evidence of an 82nd Airborne Division patch ever being on the uniform, either under the 1st Cav patch or on the right sleeve? The reason I ask is that I have the attached general orders issued by the 3rd Brigade 82nd Airborne Division. Notice that they indicate the individual was assigned to Headquarters & Headquarters Company of the 3rd Brigade while the citation itself indicates he was a member of the Phu Loi Patrol. Phu Loi was the location of the 3rd Brigade rear and logistical support base from around October/November 1968 until it redeployed to the U.S. in December 1969. The 82nd Support Battalion was also located there as well as elements of the 23rd Artillery Group (I have a copy of the 82nd's redeployment after-action report from when the 82nd pulled out in December 1969 that indicates this).

I would assume the Phu Loi Patrol was some sort of ad hoc base security force. The orders make it appear that the unit was actually assigned to or, at the very least, administratively attached to the 82nd.

It's possible that after the 82nd pulled out, the 1st Cav took over responsibility for the post and that the Phu Loi Patrol remained in charge of security no matter who the major headquarters occupying the post happened to be. The after action report doesn't mention this specifically but does mention that the1st Cav took over other firebases and facilities of the 82nd.

Hope this helps.

post-1761-0-31218500-1417471607.jpg

• 5 years later...

I ran across this photo on the 221st Signal Company website. They were the unit of the official Army combat photographers who went all over country taking photos and film to document the war. 

Phu Loi Patrol.1.jpg