Mid-late 70's 32nd Infantry Bn Commo patch

rd12

The Kellers actually made that connection, I had it for well over a year without knowing it was Floyd!

I was more into punk growing up anyhow!

I think at this time ( late 1970's ) only 1st BN was activated. So this patch was from HHC, 1-32 IN. In 1978 1st BN, 32nd Infantry was inactivated and was the only active BN at the time I believe. It was inactivated in Korea, and not reactivated again until 1996 at Ft. Drum.

I think at this time ( late 1970's ) only 1st BN was activated. So this patch was from HHC, 1-32 IN. In 1978 1st BN, 32nd Infantry was inactivated and was the only active BN at the time I believe. It was inactivated in Korea, and not reactivated again until 1996 at Ft. Drum.

Check

What bugged me about this one (now that we know what it is) is the recondo qualification. Recondo ended in 1970 right? Seems like this might have been for a more career soldier if were talking about a significant time period between recondo and when this was made (at least 1975) and recondo wasn't easy for Joes to get a slot to either, so it's always made me wish I knew a bit more

What bugged me about this one (now that we know what it is) is the recondo qualification. Recondo ended in 1970 right? Seems like this might have been for a more career soldier if were talking about a significant time period between recondo and when this was made (at least 1975) and recondo wasn't easy for Joes to get a slot to either, so it's always made me wish I knew a bit more

Maybe it's just using well known imagery as symbol, nothing to do with RECONDO as we know it? After all what does Signals have to do with RECONDO Commando types or type of mission.

Could be the BN ran it's own RECONDO school. Such training would have surely included Commo training. This would explain the "32" Recondo, this being a patch worn by instructors maybe? All speculation though. Could also be the S6 didn't want to feel left out! Here's a Recondo badge from around the same time. This is certainly a unit-level award, so award criteria would have been responsibility of unit leadership.

post-122639-0-69035900-1415669651.jpg

It could have nothing to do with recondo and was just a patch mama San had laying around, or it could he that this guy was recondo qualified and commo. I mean common guys get to compete for ranger school slots, so why not.

That's what makes it fun though.

I always thought this was 32nd Infantry Recondo to.

Not trying to add more confusion but the White & Red could mean some kind of Cavalry unit?

I agree I still think it's closer to a recondo connection than a mistake , It's like wearing a ranger tab and not being a graduate, I don't think a joe would make that mistake. I have a feelin this guy was recondo qualified

I agree I still think it's closer to a recondo connection than a mistake , It's like wearing a ranger tab and not being a graduate, I don't think a joe would make that mistake. I have a feelin this guy was recondo qualified

Yeah but this supposidly a HHC platoon insignia rather than a personal insignia, correct?

I think the bigger question is What does B.N. stand for? there is a period after each letter meaning two words, not battalion which would be BN. Of course it might just be a mistake by a non-English speaking seamstress but it seems if you are paying for something to be made you would say something if it is wrong. There is so much weird symbolism in this you probably had to be there to under stand it all, like the white, red and brown arches must mean something.

I think it's personal, some guy that really liked pink Floyd or at least knew the connection had it made, and it just so happens he was recondo and worked for HHC commo.

Maybe the commo and the music connection are a bit deeper, would guys at this time run make shift radio stations or anything? Anyone know?

I'm taking shots here but I was clueless after the pink Floyd connection was made.