506th Paratroopers Photo

manchu57

Picked up this postcard size photo in a trade at the Atlanta show this weekend. I got it from a dealer who deals in Civil War and pre- WWI images. It was in the bottom of his display case, unnoticed by others. The photo was in a standard 5X7 cardboard holder. He said it was a pair of unidentified paratroopers, and he got it at the SOS from a dealer from Ohio. When I got home I noticed there was another photo under it, so my curiosity wanted to see what the other photo was. The only problem was the paratrooper photo was glued in the corners. Well after an hour of carefully taken the photo loose, I got it out. The other photo was of a soldier in 71st Infantry Division and his family. But to my surprise the paratrooper photo had been written on with a fountain pen by the former owner. (I blotted out his personal info on the address label for his family’s privacy) Well you can see who the other paratrooper is. Strange thing what fame will do for you, here is a photo of two friends, one because of a movie, is well known and there are over a hundred web sites devoted to him. The other, just one, an obituary with the sentence “He was a World War II U.S. Army veteran, serving with the 101st Airborne.” Both were great heroes of the Greatest Generation that ever lived. Two American heroes who will not be forgotten, thank you gentlemen and may you rest in peace.

post-624-0-69282600-1415549564.jpg

post-624-0-54609400-1415549753.jpg

post-624-0-21876300-1415549956.jpg

Nice. Lester Hashey is one of the Easy Co. veterans who speaks at the start of Band of Brothers episodes. I think from episode 4 - Replacements.

Nice. Lester Hashey is one of the Easy Co. veterans who speaks at the start of Band of Brothers episodes. I think from episode 4 - Replacements.

Now that you say that, the name and photo look familiar.

-Dave

That photo has been published elsewhere. Can't recall the book but I know I've seen it previously. Probably one of Mark Bando's books

That is a great photo. A side note about Tony...he actually burried a box of gold bars somewhere in Austria at the end of the war. Where exactly remains a mystery. He would discuss the gold very vaguely but was adamant about the story. He and Les met at jump school and remained friends after the war.

USCapturephotos

That photo has been published elsewhere. Can't recall the book but I know I've seen it previously. Probably one of Mark Bando's books

Agreed 38Driver. As soon as I saw it I recognized it. Super find!

Paul