Illinois

Here are some of the places to visit while in Illinois.

Stores

AWOL Army Surplus in McHenry, IL.

Collectors Firearms Simpson Ltd. in Galesburg, IL.

Museums

Illinois State Military Museum in Springfield, IL. This is an excellent place to visit. They have quite a bit of WWI items along with Santa Ana's Leg. If you haven't seen it, you should. The museum also puts on numerous events each year and there is a Great War Encampment event coming up on Nov. 22 & 23, 2014. Here is a link to their Facebook page in case you want to check it out.

https://www.facebook.com/Illinois.State.Military.Museum

Rock Island Arsenal in Rock Island, IL. This is also another great place to visit. Make sure you get there early and see as much as you can, you will not regret it.

Mike

I'd also like to add a museum to visit if you're in the area of northern Illinois or southern Wisconsin.

Russell Military Museum is located right on I-94 and the state line. It is closing soon for the winter but will reopen in the spring. Large indoor display area covers WWI-present day, including tanks, jeeps, armored vehicles, aircraft/jet age/space artifacts, and much, much more. Several acres of outdoor grounds hold aircraft and vehicles of all ages, from Sherman tanks to Hueys. There are a F-15 and F-16, CH-54, Hind, PBR Boats, and among the rarities is a Higgins Boat. They also sell rides on M113 APCs on a small terrain course.

• 5 weeks later...

A few more surplus stores worth visiting:

Army Navy Surplus: 3100 North Lincoln Avenue Chicago, IL

Trader John's Outpost: 1173 North La Fox Street, South Elgin, IL 60177

1st Army Supply: 310 W. ROOSEVELT RD | LOMBARD, IL 60148

Chi Army Surplus: 605 Ogden Ave. Downers Grove, IL 60515

Flying Tigers Army Navy Surplus: 14812 S. Cicero Ave. Oak Forest, IL 60452

Military And Police Supply: 7351 Madison St Forest Park, IL 60130

Your Supply: 632 W Algonquin Rd Des Plaines, IL 60016

Army Navy Surplus: 6204 Forest Hills Road, Loves Park, IL 61111

• 6 months later...
strawberry 9

Chi town pickers is good i got a few things from them

I went by there today, unfortunately he closed up shop. :blush:

• 6 months later...
scoutcar researcher

Rochelle, Il

robertsarmory.com

All vehicles restored and running.

Call for museum hours or group tours.

Well worth your time if you're going to be in the area.

Includes a fully restored and floatable Higgins LCVP

• 2 months later...
CombatEng44

I'll be driving up to Springfield, IL in late May to get my daughter(23) settled in for a summer internship at UIS. Any suggestions for weekend things for her to do during her 12 weeks. She loves history, wildlife(She is there to study fisheries), WWII.

I understand that AMTRAC runs though there and she is always up to hopping the train with her other 2 interns.

Live it while you can!

I'll look at the places listed already to see if we might like those, too.

Thanks!

Steve

As has stated the Illinois State National Guard Museum is good. There is also the Lincoln Presidential Museum; The Korean War Veterans Museum and Library; The Grand Army Museum; Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War-National Dept. The Illinois State Museum; The Air Combat Museum; The Museum of Funeral Customs: The National Museum of Surveying. There are more. If you google the yellow pages Springfield Il. museums It gives you a listing of museums and historical places. If you need any help on times and dates PM me. Oh! there are many antique stores and a flea market on sat. & sun.

• 1 year later...

Here is one more going towards St. Louis, MO on the I-270. Uncle Hump's military surplus is a pretty small place located near to a storage facility just off the main interstate. The location is located in the small town of Granite City, IL, The place is very small and if you are not paying attention you will literally drive by it but inside has a wonderful selection of 1940-1990's equipment and clothing. The store also has a nice museum feel to it with all the uniform displays and classic surplus sitting on some shelves above the floor of the store.

I did find some great items and the pricing was great on what I found and purchased. If you get there early on the weekend the store is co-located next to a storage unit facility that people who rent units, open them up into a giant flea market, or open air stall market. Unfortunately, I got there too late one day but from what I could see there are lots of vendors there all selling everything under the sun. If you get there take a few minutes and go walk around.