Star and Indian Head Insignia of the 2nd Infantry Division, AEF

world war I nerd

lamarhooten

Photo No. 40: 2nd Headquarters Troop – Star and Indian head on a yellow, shield shaped background.

Upper left: There’s no way to be certain, but this style of Indian head looks to be of the post war commercially made variety.

Lower Left: Also post war, most likely made in the 1920s.

Right: This well armed Doughboy’s insignia is made up of a yellow felt shield with a regulation style Indian head.

Doughboy photo courtesy of the John Adam-Graf collection

This patch is attached to a photo album that's dated 1919. It looks a lot like the one that is posted here. Post war yes, 1920s maybe not.post-3643-0-36911800-1564884430_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

It's hard to tell, but this likely Indian head has an axe below it. His discharge papers say 302 Inf Reg. Yet everything I've found says the 302nd fell under the 94th DIV.

At any rate, does the axe suggest a unit subordinate to 2ID?

Grandpa.Horoschak.WW1.photo.jpg

Rolfi,

Welcome to the forum. I knew that I had seen the Star & Ship insignia in the past but could not find it in the search of my references.

John

• 5 weeks later...

In November I posted a 1st Division, 2nd Engineer Battalion shoulder patch to see if it is real or fake and no replies so far.  So, is it fake or real?  If it is a fake, it is a good one.

Larry

0002nd Eng Regt, 2nd Bn-F.jpg

0002nd Eng Regt, 2nd Bn-R.jpg

• 2 months later...

Rolfi and John,

Thank you for that information! Now I just need to work out how the 76th DIV fits in with his paperwork. Was it common for unit designations to change or soldiers to move to other units prior to separation? Probably the latter, correct? Evidently keeping track of people and equipment was a dumpster fire back then.

• 2 years later...
On 11/8/2014 at 11:02 AM, world war I nerd said:

Photo No. 59: 6th Machine Gun Battalion: USMC – Star and Indian head on a purple, horizontal oval shaped background.

Left: Machine embroidered, regulation, and an appliqué Indian head have all been sewn onto velvet backing cloths. The upper Indian head is believed to be commercially made and the lower Indian head with hand embroidered details and a soutache border around the star was likely fabricated in Germany.

Right: 2nd Lieutenant Wilbur T. Love has opted to wear a hand painted Indian head on his 1914 pattern USMC Winter Service Coat.

post-5143-0-22513000-1415473342.jpg

Greetings!

Ran across this excellent thread and wanted to throw this grouping into the mix for opinions. I recently had the pleasure of photographing this particular set for a local museum I volunteer at, the Marine who owned these uniforms was assigned to the 23rd, 15th and H.Q. Companies of the 6th M.G. Bn during WWI. 

The shield shape really stuck out to me as being unusual compared the typical "oval" 6th M.G. patch when I first saw it, but after discovering that the Marine was at one point assigned to H.Q. Co. the shield shape makes sense when compared to other 2nd Infantry H.Q. patch shapes. The uniform and effects were donated to the museum directly from the veteran's son, most of which is in near mint condition:

Tunics.png.0c09056a6d5f193f240908829b0c8baf.png

Patches.png.b105a82a21f82526e902cc6e19bbeb10.png

My initial request for information can be found here:

Please let me know what your opinions are on this grouping, as far as I can tell from my experience this set is the real McCoy!

Best Regards,

-J.D.