Sign in to follow this  
Salvage Sailor

US Navy Divers & Their Related Commands ARS, ASR, ATF, ATA, etc

USS PRESERVER (ARS-8) was commissioned in January 1944 and served until 1992. She had a typical Diver class history, Saipan, Tinian, struck by a bomb at Leyte Gulf and on to Tokyo. Service at Bikini for the Atom tests, on to Korea, then Arctic, Space and fleet service throughout the Cold War. She also was the support ship for the Bathyscaph which found the remains of USS THRESHER (SSN-593).

This is a silk patch made in the early 1950’s which was received from a crewman.

ARS 8 USS PRESERVER 001.jpg

ARS 8 USS PRESERVER 002.jpg

USS CURRENT (ARS-22) 1944-1972

WWII, Atomic Tests, Korea, Arctic, Cold War, Vietnam - two battle stars for World War II service, three battle stars for Korean War service, and six campaign stars for Vietnam War service

Two original cut edge patches

ARS 22 USS CURRENT 001.jpg

ARS 22 USS CURRENT 002.jpg

USS DELIVER (ARS-23) Her motto – Continuous Service - as she was not decommissioned between the 1947 Atomic tests and the Korean war. In service 1944 to 1979 (I was at her decommissioning in Pearl Harbor)

This is a large line drawing I got from her PAO. In the photo you can clearly see her SERVRON FIVE shield at midships. Her ‘Continuous Service’ crest was on the port side.

001a.jpg

002a.jpg

USS DELIVER ARS 23 late 50 early 60 002.jpg

Will be posting details in the medals section (soon)

Wharf

post-525-0-61127200-1442357895.jpg

In Peace and War, US Merchant Marine. WARNING: Dangerous Cargo. No Visitors, No Smoking, No Open Lights.

Nice one Wharf,

The were made to be personalized by the crewmen. Here's one unnamed.

Nice patch, slightly different. Mahalo !

Wharf

In Peace and War, US Merchant Marine. WARNING: Dangerous Cargo. No Visitors, No Smoking, No Open Lights.

Diver Class USS GRASP (ARS-24) my first ship

Built by Basalt Rock as were most Divers, she was commissioned in August 1944 and sent immediately to Lingayen Gulf and the Philippine Sea where she splashed one zero. She continued service throughout the Korean war and was heavily involved in Arctic ops, Atomic testing and the Vietnam conflict. The Vulcan lighter has the GRASP shield on one side and a SERVRON 5 etching on the other. The Zippo lighter is mine dated 1976.

I'm not going to show the patch reverse on this one as it's the only one I've ever seen or had of this type and it's not (yet) being knocked-off by the "usual suspects".

ARS 24 USS GRASP 001.jpg

...and this is the GRASP patch sewed onto my USN work jacket. I was quite reluctant to show this patch for many years but recently, I saw another one which sold on ebay and now the copies are reaching the marketplace. Still, I'm not going to cut it off and show the reverse side.....

ARS 24 USS GRASP 002.jpg

ARS 24 USS GRASP 003.jpg