Sign in to follow this  
Salvage Sailor

US Navy Divers & Their Related Commands ARS, ASR, ATF, ATA, etc

Aloha Everyone,

Feel free to add on your own examples of US Navy diving patches including the relative commands, stations and vessels that USN divers have served with.

I'll start off with some of my own from the 1970's when I was a junk boat sailor.

USN DIVING Group 001.jpg

....and this came off of set of USN OD coveralls I still have in my seabag.

U.S. NAVAL SHIP REPAIR FACILITY YOKOSUKA JAPAN - NAN DEMO DEKIMASU "We Can Do Anything"

Original Japanese made - You see many of these copied (poorly) and sold on ebay

US NAVAL SRF YOKOSUKA 001.jpg

US NAVAL SRF YOKOSUKA 002.jpg

You must have noticed that both these two (2) patches and the other Japanese example you posted are misspelled

Nope I didn't notice this so I would imagine no self respecting Naval EOD sailor is going to wear misspelled insignia. Here is another patch in my collection.

post-1389-0-70730000-1417727379.jpg

donation2008.gif

USN Divers could be members of a number of shore establishments including SRF's, Submarine commands, Station & Shipyard diving lockers, EOD, HCU-1 & HCU-2 (later MDSU-1/2),

Service Force (SERVPAC, SERVLANT, SERVRONS), Weapons and Scientific development labs, etc. They were also assigned to diving lockers on AD, AR & AS type ships.

But from WWII to the 1990's their primary seaborne billets were on ARS's (Rescue Salvage), ASR's (Submarine Rescue), ATF’s (Fleet Tugs) and other seagoing tug type vessels - ATA, ATR & ATS.

Rather than post any or all patches (like the ones shown below) for these ships, I’ll only be posting those with diving themes depicted upon them.

Service Force 001.jpg

IMG_2390.JPG

IMG_2464.JPG

IMG_2453.JPG

For 50 years the workhorse of the USN Salvage forces was the Diver Class ARS built by Basalt Rock company in Napa, California. In 1942, these vessels were specifically designed for towing, diving, rescue and salvage work around the globe. Longer and with a shallower draft than an ATF, Diver class ships were made for pulling with their large bladed twin screws (whereas an ATF was single screw). In addition to Beach Gear, 8 Ells anchors, a full repair shop and automatic towing machine, an ARS also had a full dive locker aboard including a recompression chamber

This is the three-war veteran USS ESCAPE (ARS-6), second in the class commissioned in 1943. During the 1960's she was a primary recovery vessel for NASA and support for oceanographic missions. She remained in USN service until 1978 when she was re-flagged as the USCGC ESCAPE (WMEC-6). ESCAPE served as a Coast Guard cutter until 1995.

ARS 6 USS ESCAPE 001.jpg

ARS 6 USS ESCAPE 002.jpg

ARS 6 WMEC 6 USS USCGC ESCAPE 001.jpg

ARS 6 WMEC 6 USS USCGC ESCAPE 002.jpg