Kill the moth, not the sheep !

usaaf93

Hello

I recently purchased a pair of Pattern 40 RAF boots to put on my USAAF display. They are pretty nice except that it is covered with moth inside (on the sheepskin part). I already vacuumed it gently. Do you know a way to kill the moth without damaging the sheepskin part ?

Thanks for your help

Julien

Hello,

I don't know if that could damage the sheepskin or not, but some time in the freezer is a good way to get rid of moths ... if your freezer is big enough of course.

E

I put wool uniforms in a plastic garbage bag, then stick them in the deep freeze for a week. I then take them out and warm up for 24 hrs to let any remaining larvae hatch. Then put the bag back in the freezer for another 48 - 72 hrs to kill anything that is left. This works for me.

Devin

AAF_Collection

I'd advise caution if you are going to freeze the boots, the rubber bonding around the edge may not react well to being frozen. Personally I'd seal them in a plastic bag for a while with some moth killer strips.

Matt.

Most at home freezers do not get cold enough to really kill all the eggs.

You best bet, is to make an airproof container- and put your items in it, along with one of those yellow no pest strip things. They slowly release a chemical that zaps bugs nervous systems, but are really not hazardous to people unless you eat them or have them in a very confined space. But do not allow the yellow material to touch any cloth or anything.

Leave it in there for a while.

This works as a fumigation chamber and kills everything. anything at all wool that comes into my house goes though my chamber.

If there's leather I would avoid the freezer, the drastic and rapid humidity change expand and immediately contrast the leather. Too dry is not good for leather too moist is not either but what's worse is rapid short term humidity fluxuations