M-37 H&H Imperial Officer Dress Emblems

Here's the last of the Raleigh finds, a month later, finally. Three different and very nice left collar emblems for the officer's dress blues...I got all 3 for $240, which, judging off eBay's pieces hitting 200+ apiece, I feel I did well

First, a pinback H&H Imperial marked emblem, proving that the pinbacks remained in production during WWII (at least until 43), and not just pre-war. It is a bit tarnished, the rear of the bird is marked Imperial. The rear of the anchor is marked H&H, as well as 'ROLLED GOLD'. I believe we had a discussion on what rolled gold is once, but I can't find the thread. No sterling mark, but I believe it is. A very nice piece

Second, a post-43 pinback, rearmarked H&H and STERLING. The rear of the anchor is marked '1/20 12K ON STERLING'. Also a very nice piece, suggesting the pinbacks stayed in private purchase production possibly until the end of the war.

Third, a well-tarnished screwback. The finish on the continents is chipped off, and the retaining pin is gone. The screwpost itself is broken down a bit. No roller. Rear of the bird is marked 'H&H' and SERLING. Rear of the anchor is marked '1/30 RG ON STERLING'. Yes, 1/30. And I assume RG stands for Rolled Gold yet again. Tarnished, aged, worn, but still nice...Dress_Imperials_Front.JPGDress_Imperials_Rear.JPG

Dress_Imperials_Front.JPG

Dress_Imperials_Rear.JPG

Nice birds, Brig! Now to find their mates! Good hunting..................Semper Fi, Devil Dog!

Bobgww

teufelhunde.ret

Tim, nice catch there. Looks like you have all three H&H variations from the period. Now for the dreaded "match the emblem" search :( . Good hunting! s/f Darrell

actually, I saw a fourth varient sell on eBay the night of the show, H&H marking in a different place, and I'm sure there're a couple more

teufelhunde.ret
actually, I saw a fourth varient sell on eBay the night of the show, H&H marking in a different place, and I'm sure there're a couple more

I agree, I am specualting here they may have placed the hallmark in different locations to refect the time period it was made OR to identify the actual dies used... for quality control purposes. Either way, in a sense the variations beyond appeare limitless (well not quite).

Btw, that rolled gold hallmark is a first for me. I wonder if that was a one time event... or done with all rolled gold emblems from H&H? Or done by others, as well?

• 2 months later...

here's a right collar emblem, of the screwback varient shown above marked RG for Rolled Gold. Has some spotches on the front from god knows what, and this one too has gold chipping off the continents. A nice example, got it for a buy it now of 45 bucks on eBay, a fair deal in my opinion

Imperial_Front.JPG

Imperial_Mark.JPG

"Rolled gold" is a process where the gold is laminated to a base metal. This provides thicker, more lasting gold surface than electroplating (a couple of sources say "There is 100 times more gold in 14 kt. Gold filled (rolled gold) than in gold plate."). Rolled gold is also called "gold filled" or sometimes just GF.

Something like 1/20 12K ON STERLING means the gold is laminated on silver and that 12K gold makes up one-twentieth of the weight of the object. 12K gold is 50% gold, so basically a one ounce Rolled Gold object would have $25 worth of gold if gold was selling at $1,000 an ounce.

A rolled gold object would be expected to retain its gold covering for a lifetime, whereas an objected electroplated with gold would show wear through to the base metal after a lot of handling. EGA's and other insignia might not show such wear but something like a gold plated pen would (older pens were made with rolled gold, newer ones are plated).

Those are great looking EGA'S Brig: interesting that one with only one-thirtieth RG is missing some gold on the continents. I would assume that is either because the thinner layer was more easily damaged or perhaps the laminating process failed. The damage could have come from someone trying too hard to polish it, perhaps with rouge or some other compound.

teufelhunde.ret
... A nice example, got it for a buy it now of 45 bucks on eBay, a fair deal in my opinion

Darn right, even miss-matched pairs are seeing 150+ on ebay right now.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.