3 Silver Life Saving Medals just listed on eBay!

MMcollector

I read the auctions.

The payment methods listed after the description / text body are kinda screwy ?

I am pretty familiar with eBay and I thought auctions are PayPal only - no exceptions ??

I read the auctions.

The payment methods listed after the description / text body are kinda screwy ?

I am pretty familiar with eBay and I thought auctions are PayPal only - no exceptions ??

No, this is for a live auction. In this case, the bidding and payments are done via the auction house.

No, this is for a live auction. In this case, the bidding and payments are done via the auction house.

Thanks for the explanation.

I guess I don't know as much about eBay as I thought.

Be sure not to overlook the fine print - Up to 30% applied to winning bid.

Whenever I see crazy premiums like this, I just factor them into my bid and the final price I want to be into the item at. if I win, great. If not, no biggie. Large premiums normally just equal the consigner getting less money.

JD

Ebay used to do live auctions in the past in conjunction with other auction houses and are bringing the practice back.

If I remember right, the premium was less if you bid through the auction house than through Ebay. I don't know if that is still true.

Kurt

These online "live" auctions have a steroid-healthy profit margin, with a total 50% commission on the sales price of the item, and scant overhead. A realtor's typical 3% (unless they double-end) seems paltry (charitable) by comparison. From a buyer's point of view, hard to knock Ebay with zero "buyer's premium" (aka, no house cut of what you buy) and often no sales tax and increasingly free shipping and ever-expanding "buyer protection". No, I don't have stock in Ebay and this is not a sales plug for Ebay, but zero compared to a 25% poke in the eye is a contrast. You really have to factor in that 25% as a buyer in determing what it's worth to you when you bid on high ticket items such as this. If this medal goes for $2500, the buyer will be paying over $3100 for it.

And all three sold.

One for $2600 (one bid)

One for $2500 (two bids)

One for $1400 (one bid)

I think all 3 prices are good for the condition and period of each award. The commission is the long pole, but IMP pound for pound if I had the cabbage, I'd have bid.