WW2 USN Flight Jacket and Logbook

willipr

I share with you my grandfather's flight jacket. I'm not sure of the maker of the jacket as the tag is no longer on the jacket. The patch is for his fighter squadron VF-7 where he flew the F6F Hellcat in the Pacific. I posted a little more about him in the Veterans Recollections thread.

Thanks

post-154874-0-54230800-1415230515.jpg

Very nice jacket. It is tough to find WWII Navy Flight jackets with BOTH a name tag and a squadron patch, especially to a unit that saw combat. I only have 1 and I have a number of WWII USN flight jackets. Most of mine only have name tags.

Kurt

Very nice jacket. It is tough to find WWII Navy Flight jackets with BOTH a name tag and a squadron patch, especially to a unit that saw combat. I only have 1 and I have a number of WWII USN flight jackets. Most of mine only have name tags.

Kurt

Thanks for your feedback Kurt. I never realized how difficult it is to find a jacket with both the name tag and squadron patch.

WWII AAF jackets are common with squadron patches, butWWII USN and USMC jackets are scarce and under-rated.

Kurt

Wow. Thanks for the after action reports. They mean a lot to me. I haven't seen any reports with my grandfather mentioned in them. I do have his flight book he used throughout the war and in training and also a history of VF-7 typed up by one of the veterans who sent it to Sig. The history starts with their formation as a squadron, training, daily action in the Pacific, and return to the US. In the history and logbooks it briefly mentions him shooting down the Lilly. But this gives a lot more detail. Thank you a lot Kurt!

Phenomenal jacket Willipr! Priceless too, having been your grandfather's. That's the first real example of the VF-7 patch that I've ever seen. I'd love to see more from your Grandfather. Logbook pages or period photos of him wearing the jacket would be really cool. Thanks for sharing with the forum. Jeffro

Thanks Jeffro and Chris. I'll try to post some more of his items along with pictures from his logbook and pictures of him. I also have an unused VF-7 patch of his. Sadly the best camera I have is my cellphone and I can usually only post one picture at a time.

Thanks again

That's a really great jacket. I would also love to see more of his items. It's great you have his logbook as well. It's really great you have all of these items from your grandfather. Hang on to them!

JD

That's a really great jacket. I would also love to see more of his items. It's great you have his logbook as well. It's really great you have all of these items from your grandfather. Hang on to them!

JD

Thanks JD. They will be staying in the family.

I'm sharing with you tonight my grandfather's log book. It starts in October 1942 and ends in August 1945. Included are his training and deployment to the Pacific. Enjoy and thanks for looking.

post-154874-0-02082700-1415318240.jpg

Training in my hometown of Vero Beach, FL at the Naval Air Station. The station is now a small airport. Piper aircraft also manufactures their airplanes their.

post-154874-0-11339100-1415318386.jpg