Grandpa's Aviator Kit Bag

30-Cal

I came across my grandfather's aviators kit bag. His name is stenciled in white paint on the top of the bag, but I can faintly see another name stenciled on the side of the bag. S/SGT FM hawk.

I was wondering if these bags were commonly recylced to other men upon death or discharge, or if this might have been something my grandfather traded for.

Pics on the way. Thank you.

• 1 month later...
RedStateRanger

Hi

This bag looks like an older version of a bag that was standard issue to SAC B-52 bomber crew members (got mine in 1970's). Ours were used to carry each member's artic gear like mukluks, fur-covered mittens, and hooded jackets. I imagine the same thing was being done back in the 50's/60's too. Bags were stored onboard during the week that the crew was sitting nuc alert (about one week out of every six). Our issued bags (two each) could be kept since they were considered expendable. We just wrote our last name using magic marker. I suppose if some people turned them in, they would get reissued and re-marked. Traded one of my bags to a British soldier I served with during Desert Storm.

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...
phantomfixer

The aviators kit bag hasn't changed much over the years...The AN6505-1 is very similar, if not identical in design, with the exception of materials used to construct, to the bags issued up to the mid 80's, then they switched to a nylon bag, still similar in design.....and function. Now the bags as stated by Red state Ranger, are used as a general purpose storage bag for flight gear, cold weather gear, generally labeled A, B, and C bags depending on what was in them....

In WWII flight gear was turned in, generally speaking and depending on unit and command, at the end of your tour to be reissued to another crew...Airmen no longer on flight status, for whatever reason, would have their gear turned in for reissue......Did some vets get to keep their gear ...sure they did....

yours is very nice example, with great family history...

10060 might be an APO

Yep, they weren't issued on a permanent basis to guys in the AF, just squadron property that are given to them while they are assigned. Dudes did manage to keep them by hook or by crook.

I issued lots of these bags in the late 60's. All aircrew were authorized one of these. If I remember correctly, they kept the bag if reassigned to another unit and remained on flying status. If they were separating from active duty, the bag and most of the gear was turned in to supply (Individual Equipment Unit). It may have been a different situation in other commands or locations.