A tale of three Navy DSMs

emccomas

So, I now own three Navy DSM, from approximately three different "era / conflict"

One is a WWII vintage in the light blue box

One is a Korean War / 1950s vintage in a clear lid case (my choice since it came without a case)

One is an early Vietnam War vintage in a plush blue ARROW titled case.

The only items that have a hall mark on them are the service ribbon and the lapel pin in the Vietnam War set. Both of these pieces are hallmarked HLP.

The WWII and KW sets are both pin clasp large medals and service ribbons, and buttonhole lapel pin. The VW cased set is pin clasp large medal, and clutch back service ribbon and lapel pin.

I am going to show a number of pictures, with various details displayed.

We will start with the overall picture of the three cased sets

post-12036-0-49121500-1415115199.jpg

post-12036-0-47844500-1415115207.jpg

So, what do we notice from this. Disregarding the brooch and the ribbon,

1. The WWII pendant has a lighter shade of blue than the later issues

2. There are some very subtle differences in the hinge area; so subtle that I am not sure a distinction can be made.

All three of these medals look and feel like "quality" produced pieces.

So, the only conclusion that I can make is that the WWII and earlier Navy Distinguished Service Medal pendants have a noticeably lighter shade of blue. Beyond that, I don't see a significant difference.

Thoughts?

Ed, since handling several early strikes of these medals and many later strikes I can concur the blue is much lighter on early strikes 1918-1940's. The most significant differences I find between these strikes besides the base metal & enamel color is the rim design. The early strikes are beveled around the edge. The post war issue are flat around the rim.

1918 DSM

post-134470-0-65450200-1415120108.jpg

Roughly speaking newer medal strikes don't have the same level of detail that WWI-WWII ones do. There's an excellent thread on the WWII campaign medals that were made during WWII compared to brand new ones - http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42453-wwii-crimped-brooch-theater-medals/ It shows very clearly how some of the original details have been lost over the years.

Good point on the beveled vs. flat rim aspect. I will photograph all three from that view as well.

I do not have a current issue Navy DSM, so I really don't know what it looks like.

OK, another picture comparing the edge of the three pendants

WWII is on top, KW is in the middle, VW is on the bottom.

The WWII pendant has a beveled edge, the later two have rounded edges.

I am also going to take a guess and say that the KW pendant has been polished at some time. Not 100% sure, but it sure seems that way.

post-12036-0-82205100-1415137978.jpg

Ed

This is a real nice contrast and compare for us. Easy to see the differences, in spite of how subtle they are, when you lay all 3 side by side. The color nuances on the enamel are much more evident when shown together and the bevel, while many may know it, it is something many of us miss when comparing or determining era. I think with more discussion this will remain a valuable reference for the collecting community here.