WWII Airborne Rigger Pouches

Ronny67

Hi from France... :)

I can not resist to share with you this duo that I finally met after more than 10 years of research ... the large pouch was found last week on a flea market near Paris.
This is not "rigger" but it's here, right?

Regards

p1140625.jpg

p1140624.jpg

These pouches could be ordered from the Quartermaster Supply Manual or catalog. I think they were listed as an AAF item but I could easily be wrong on that.

Ronnie

These are aircorps contract pouches, due to the numbers on the back which correspond with the lists in the catalogs member Dustin posted earlier on.

However, these pouches appear to have different snaps than documented examples used by Airborne in WWII.

While this is an Aircorps pouch, I suspect it may be a later contract after a switch was made from "Lift the Dot" snaps to these press snaps.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm curious - any tips on identifying an original rigger pouch vs a reproduction? I just picked up a BUNCH of stuff from an older local 1st ID reenactor that was getting out of the game, and the lot included a ton of both repro and original gear. In the lot was a rigger pouch that, to me, has the look and feel of an original (snaps have some green corrosion, fabric feels like a correct weight, the sewing is not too perfect), but it's hard to tell without any markings at all on it. Chances are it's a repro, but I guess if it gets passed from reenactor to reenactor over the years, ya' never know...

• 3 weeks later...

Just to add to the thread, here are some pics of a pouch from my collection. Based on what I read from the thread, the side seam and lack of markings would put it in the "rigger made", rather than USAAF contract, category - correct? I included some details on construction and stitching for documentation purposes. I don't believe it to be a reproduction as it came from an estate and was the only military item amongst a bunch of firearm/hunting items (i.e., "the bottom drawer of a gun cabinet"). Plus it just smells old!

post-3586-0-39457000-1483216129.jpg

post-3586-0-29368700-1483216141.jpg

The one posted above looks a lot like a Herb Zamar replica. Herb is a member here on the forum and makes rigger pouches out of original canvas and thread.

I didn't make the one shown by TAMU97. The pouches I make are a little larger and fit 5 carbine mags. Also, I don't have a bar tack sewing machine and that one is bar tacked. It's a nice looking pouch and has the correct WWII ridged bottom part of the female lift the dot.

Herb

• 5 years later...

Hello

Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but thought it was the best to ask in! 

I bought this pouch about 2 years ago to use on a welbike of mine. I then realised that it could be an airborne riggers pouch. I’ve been told that it is by many people. One person said ‘Yes US rigger pouch, made by the rigger dept specifically for Op Overlord (DDay 1944)’

this came straight from a family here in England, but they didn’t want to share names unfortunately. 

Can anyone confirm if this is an original wartime airborne riggers pouch please? See pictures below

Many thanks!

Alfie

0E8F5C26-3BAB-4572-97C8-0B3A408EB689.jpeg

ACA4AB64-3DEA-45D7-B89B-3C245D97AEE6.jpeg

610A7A95-ED30-4216-B9F8-55B297BC35AF.jpeg

487F12E5-DECF-46D6-BA2E-7BE19BB7DB3A.jpeg

B62CE96E-ADEE-489F-845F-916918AE1B55.jpeg

74C6210B-7D06-4941-8BA5-6AFF09D9B313.jpeg

1C359D6B-DDB8-4293-8035-8193EAFF31A3.jpeg

• 5 months later...
On 12/31/2016 at 9:29 PM, TAMU97 said:

Just to add to the thread, here are some pics of a pouch from my collection. Based on what I read from the thread, the side seam and lack of markings would put it in the "rigger made", rather than USAAF contract, category - correct? I included some details on construction and stitching for documentation purposes. I don't believe it to be a reproduction as it came from an estate and was the only military item amongst a bunch of firearm/hunting items (i.e., "the bottom drawer of a gun cabinet"). Plus it just smells old!

post-3586-0-39457000-1483216129.jpg

post-3586-0-29368700-1483216141.jpg

Hello,

I sent you a private message.

Best regards

Jerome