Air Refueling

Scott C.

Just got around to scanning some pictures from the mid-late 90s when I had the priviledge to fly the KC-10 'Extender'. It was a wonderful airplane to fly - smooth, fast, quiet, and comfortable. Even at max gross weight of 590,000lbs, it always seemed to have power to spare. Being able to take fuel as well as give it, mission durations were often limited to the max augmented crew day which would allow for trips half-way around the globe, non-stop. On several missions I had the chance to join the boom operator in the very spacious (compaired to the KC-135) boom 'pod' to snap some pics. I hope you enjoy them...

post-2884-1214880810.jpg

Or an AV-8 (the KC-10 could refuel with the boom or drogue without retrofitting). This shot was taken over the middle of the Pacific Ocean between Midway and Hawaii...

post-2884-1214881246.jpg

F-16s on their way to Alaska for the same exercise (I made two round trips to Japan to deploy all 12 aircraft)

post-2884-1214881649.jpg

What a nice set of photos. thumbsup.gif The flying gas stations rarely get thier fair share of credits to a mission accomplised. My hat is off to all the refuelers, ground or air, its a tough job, no matter where they are at.

Dave

Steindaddie

When I was a flight engineer on EC-130's, there was plenty of AR work done with either the KC-135 or the KC-10. We preferred the 135 only because of the the wave of air we had to push through nuzzling up to the 10. On the other hand, we called the KC-10 (with affection) "the mothership", because of it's size that loomed over us. Looks like something from Star Wars when hitting the tanker at night.

When were hooked up, my job was running the AR panel but I also yakked with the boomer. (For those who don't know, there is an intercom connection in the boom - neat, huh?) I always heard a common story from the boomers; they said they never liked refueling 130's because of our propellors and they feared what might happen to their boom should they poke it in the prop. My stock reply was " your poor boom. We get to have our prop blades come zinging through the plane and probably half your boom as well !"

Kidding aside, the damage to both planes would not be pretty, but if you can't razz the guys in the tanker, what's the point of even making the rendevouz? ;) It was best to keep the KC guys on your good side though, after all, they were flying at about two knots above their stall speed what with our slug plane dragging behind. :lol:

Will

PS. The pic is of our view of the "dreaded" boom of a KC-135

post-1949-1214934012.jpg

Great picture Will. I only refueled C-130s and A-10s a couple of times - often having to go into a shallow dive to allow them to catch up. The Herc drivers were great on the boom - no complaints. The boom "envelope" on the KC-10 is about 30 percent greater than the KC-135, which allowed receivers a bit more 'slop' while refueling. The invisible bow-wave you mentioned could definitely be felt when a C-5 or E-4 would come up behind you. If a KC-10 approached a KC-135 a tad too fast, our bow wave could out-pace the nose up trim of the KC-135 autopilot, occasionally causing it to shut off at the last minute causing the rear of the -135 to dump and nearly hit the nose of the -10. Hence KC-135 boom operators were very sensitive about closure rates of big aircraft. The E-4, B-52, and B-1 crews always amazed me, being able to stay on the boom for 40 minutes or more without a hiccup (anything past 30 minutes for me and I was worn out :blink: ).

post-2884-1214958729.jpg

Steindaddie

Thanks Scott - and your photos are outstanding. I've been a pax a time or two on the 10 and it's the only way to fly. Just ask the pax on our 130 - haha - suckers !

Will

PS. My dad is a retired UAL DC-10 Capt. and I hope you don't mind that I forwarded your photos to him.

Got a couple of hops in KC-135s over the years, I liked laying next to the boomer, felt like you could reach out and touch the plane refueling. We refueled a B-1 once, that was a neat sight to watch pull up that close under us!

Thanks Scott - and your photos are outstanding. I've been a pax a time or two on the 10 and it's the only way to fly. Just ask the pax on our 130 - haha - suckers !

Will

PS. My dad is a retired UAL DC-10 Capt. and I hope you don't mind that I forwarded your photos to him.

No problem Will thumbsup.gif . I have a few hours as a slick C-130 driver too - loved every minute of it...

post-2884-1215655354.jpg

Great pics. My grandfather did some of the early test hooking a B-47 to the KC-135. He said it was nice to have a tanker that could keep up with them.

You would enjoy it. As part of my orientatio at ROTC summer camp, I flew a 5-hour mission in a KC-135 and we refueled with a couple of FB-111's.

Awesome !

w00t.gif