Kagnew Station and MAAG Ethiopia (Eritrea)

ReverendJake

I have seen plenty of Kagnew Station patches, but I have only seen one example on a uniform. I was wondering if any of you have an example of a Kagnew Station patched uniform or a uniform id'd to a MAAG Ethiopia vet (I don't believe there was an SSI for this unit nor have I seen a crest for the standard MAAG patch that says Ethiopia). I'm also interested in seeing any post WWII uniforms with a connection to an army unit (especially an advisory group) stationed in another African country.

Salvage Sailor

Emperor Haille Selassie and Lt Col Harris, Post Commander reviewing the first platoon and the Honor Guard circa 1960-1962

Kagnew Station patch 003.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Emperor Haille Selassie and Lt Col Harris, Post Commander reviewing the second platoon and the Honor Guard circa 1960-1962

all photos copied from Kagnew Station website

Kagnew Station patch 004.jpg

• 1 month later...

Wow, cool stuff!

I was living around the corner from Kagnew Station (well, what used to be it) in the mid-1990s when I was in the US Army and working as an advisor to some Eritrean DOD guys. I used to walk all over the area and found all kinds of cool stuff. I picked up a few M-1 Garands (and many, many AKs) that were laying in the dirt and thought about trying to get them home but they were in bad shape so I left them where they lay. There were lots of ex Ethiopian/Soviet tanks and BMPs and etc. that were knocked out during the war in that area. I remember piles of even WWII Italian gear (mixed in with everything else, from East German to Soviet to American gear) throughout Asmara. It was a pretty cool place right after the war ended.

• 6 months later...

Nice information.

I'm documenting the history, the patches, pins, etc. of the US military rod & gun clubs throughout Europe, Africa, and the Middle East. Does anyone know what years the Kagnew Station rod & gun club was in existence? Finally does anyone have a Kagnew rod & gun patch for sale? Paul

Wanted: US military rod & gun clubs, Europe, Africa, and Middle East - club patches, pins, badges, metals, awards, etc.