Post your 71st Divison Uniforms!

phillyghistory

phillyghistory

Beautiful Ikes, CW4AFB thanks for posting! Yeah my grandfather, T/4 Samuel T. Griffin was with the 71st the whole way through. They're definitely an under-appreciated unit of WW2.

Philly --- Glad you like them---the 71st, like the 63rd, seems to have been an excellent unit but generated very little publicity---just did their job, never gave an inch and went home after it was over---I had one more--shown here but about 4 years after I bought it off ebay the family tracked me down and bought it from me for what I paid---It was one of my favorites because of the really nice 71st patch---but karma is important ---

regards, Al

post-2235-0-48728400-1415043944.jpg

phillyghistory

Thank you for the link Dave. I actually have seen that listing before. I only collect ID'd items where the veteran's history can be traced.

Here's one of mine.

This ike jacket belonged to T/3 Earnest Smith of the 71st ID's HQ. He worked as a clerk. Was able to speak with him on the phone a few months before he passed away. He said he was went into one of the concentration camps the 71st liberated. Really nice theater made patch, almost has a translucent effect.

post-19184-0-50058900-1415055464.jpg

post-19184-0-35735800-1415055481.jpg

I also have another ike from a 42nd ID medic who transferred to the 71st, but don't have any great pics of it.

Timberwolf---that 71st patch is phenomenal---If you look at the very first picture I posted I think you'll agree that it looks like mine was made by the same hand that created yours---but yours is in much better shape...now I'm jealous....

regards, Al

Here's one of mine.

This ike jacket belonged to T/3 Earnest Smith of the 71st ID's HQ. He worked as a clerk. Was able to speak with him on the phone a few months before he passed away. He said he was went into one of the concentration camps the 71st liberated. Really nice theater made patch, almost has a translucent effect.

attachicon.gif15680789396_dfb23f330f_z.jpg

attachicon.gif15680802196_31a1d31e89_z (1).jpg

I also have another ike from a 42nd ID medic who transferred to the 71st, but don't have any great pics of it.

Thanks Al! I noticed that too!

There seems to be two types of construction to these patches. The one that I have and the one on your first posted jacket along with the second one you posted (with the 3rd Cav Grp. patch, although it lacks the metal wiring outlining the 71 and circle) and the final one you posted, which you sold back to the family. That one is very different, so they must have had two different makers/shops supplying them.

USCapturephotos

Here's one of mine.

attachicon.gif15680789396_dfb23f330f_z.jpg

attachicon.gif15680802196_31a1d31e89_z (1).jpg

Nice thread! I have a 71st Ike jacket and a bunch of other odds and ends from a soldier named George Glasser from the 71st. I forget what regiment right now. The concentration camp that the 71st liberated was Gunkskirchen, I think in Austria. There is a theater printed booklet about the liberation of the camp.

Paul

phillyghistory

Yes Paul you would be referring to "The 71st Came to Gunskirchen Lager". I interviewed a veteran that trained with my grandfather and fought with him in the war. There is always a lot of speculation as to what specific units liberated the camps or entered a town first. I can say with the utmost confidence that 3rd Platoon of the 71st Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop Mechanized liberated the camp. I would guess that HQ took over from there. My grandfather was in 1st Platoon of the 71st Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop Mechanized and at the time the camp was liberated, he was on scouting duty. This was on May 4th, 1945 and the mission to all three platoons was to drive further into Austria to make contact with more Russian units (they were the first to make contact with the Russians in April, and traveled the farthest east in Europe of all US Army units in WW2). It just so happened that 3rd Platoon stumbled upon the camp.

Interesting topic---you don't hear much about these guys--here's a couple from my collection:

Wow, cool, I didn't know this Brave Rifles patch was made and worn so early, I was under the impression it came out in the early 50s.

I love the scroll--now I'm double jealous---I also like that the guy was given a WWI "Occupation of Germany" ribbon because the WW2 versions were in short supply---this substitution appears to have been a fairly common occurrence but can be confusing the first time you run into it....

Al

Thanks Al and TW.

Its a favorite ok f mine.I also like the occupation made Combat Medics Badge with the red enamel cross.I think the cap is british made as well.Seeing your examples in bullion I now may have to look for one.

Terry---your patch looks very close to the patch on the uniform I sold back to the family---he was a mortarman also---you don't think....? wouldn't that be a nice coincidence....

Some great uniforms there. Here is mine, from a mortarman that was on some occupation duty. Most insignia is German made.