Flak Goggles`

gitana

I'm talking about these things

post-14792-0-73149500-1414968060.jpg

Is there any documentation, or any photos, of these being used by air crews at any time?

They're always referred to as 'flak' goggles, but I think they may have been created for another use entirely. And I'm not sure how they are associated with the AAF. Thanks!

These were issued to tankers I believe. They have been associated with bomber crews for so long it is hard to separate fact from fiction. In the few books on WWII aircrew gear, I think the view is they weren't used by aircrews (sweeting doesn't mention them) . I can't recall any photos of these goggles in use but as soon as I say that, someone will probably post one. Prodger, on page 270 has a photo of them and says they were issued primarily to armor crews. Does anyone actually have a photo of these in use in an aircraft?

I don't have Prodger's book, but someone at warrelics posted a photo from his book showing British ARP goggles as possible RAF flak goggles - I'm not sure he's the go to guy for these.

I've never seen a photo at all with anyone wearing them in any branch of service, and would be delighted to find one.

Visibility is good through these, but I can't imagine being a side door gunner, scanning the skies for 109s, wearing them.

• 5 months later...
Government Issue

I'm curious of the origin and use of these goggles as well. Does anyone have any information concerning these goggles?

I have a pair and was going to display them with my flak helmet. I've never taken the time to research their actual intended use.