eagle-banner amico pilot

Costa

Nice find Costa.I like the flat back heavier wings.Feels like they were serious about there wings when they are heavy. What's the timing on it,what years was it used? Fraternally Mike

Patchcollector

Here's one I picked up a few months back that has the same "Eagle-Banner" hallmark,except it's in a different place and mine is also marked "Sterling"

Here's a link to a thread that discusses the various Amico hallmarks,and shows a Wing like yours.Maybe it's just an optical illusion,but the hallmark on the one in that thread looks bigger than yours.They are both non Sterling though.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/87970-very-interesting-amico-pilot-wing/

post-13386-0-44367200-1414968293.jpeg

post-13386-0-31628200-1414968303.jpeg

post-13386-0-91798100-1414968308.jpeg

post-13386-0-90057200-1414968314.jpeg

I have to question that.

If you question that Sir, what is the knowledge you can share with us?

Nice wing, either way Costa.

J

Here's one I picked up a few months back that has the same "Eagle-Banner" hallmark,except it's in a different place and mine is also marked "Sterling"

Here's a link to a thread that discusses the various Amico hallmarks,and shows a Wing like yours.Maybe it's just an optical illusion,but the hallmark on the one in that thread looks bigger than yours.They are both non Sterling though.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/87970-very-interesting-amico-pilot-wing/

Hi Patch

I have three Eagle Amico hallmarks, each are different in size. Wish we knew the gospel on that,

could be the year and or location they were stamped with.

Surely Cliff knows, he may just be holding out on everyone.

J

Patchcollector

Hi Patch

I have three Eagle Amico hallmarks, each are different in size. Wish we knew the gospel on that,

could be the year and or location they were stamped with.

Surely Cliff knows, he may just be holding out on everyone.

J

Hi Jay,

Nothing like a good mystery,eh?Out of your two theories,my guess would be that the different hallmarks are "age" related,but it would be more interesting if it turned out to be "location" oriented. :)

I have to go with Cliff on this one. Frankly, I have never really understood the "early" versus "late" war argument, as if there was some major shift in manufacturing between 1943 and 1945 that you can point a finger at?

Sometimes, you can find company records, sometimes you can get a general date on wings by finding them in a grouping of a soldier/airman who's service history you know, and sometimes you can broadly date wings based on when that rating was authorized.

For example, the gilt flight surgeon wing was authorized early in 1943 and changed to silver in late 1944. Here are some examples of AMICO marked gilt and silver flight surgeon wings.

A 2 inch gilt AMICO with Sterling and 1/20 10K mark (ca 1943-1944)

A 3 inch silver AMICO with Sterling and 1/20 10K mark (but not gilded) (ca 1944-1946).

A 3 inch silver AMICO with only the AMICO Sterling mark (again ca 1944-).

So, it seems that the AMICO mark in the arc was used at least from early 1943 until after the war.

Also, AMICO was one of the main makers of USN wings. I don't think I have ever seen a USN wing that wasn't marked with the AMICO in the arc. In fact, I have a "early" USN AMICO make observer wing marked with the AMICO in an arc. I can't believe that AMICO only made USN wings "late" in the war.

post-1519-0-53387600-1415033678.jpg

post-1519-0-04471300-1415033688.jpg

post-1519-0-94348500-1415033698.jpg

.... I don't think I have ever seen a USN wing that wasn't marked with the AMICO in the arc.

Well you knew as soon as you posted that..... http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/usnavy/pilot/hillamiconavypilot.shtml

But I agree that I haven't seen any actual proof that this is an early mark although I've certainly heard the theory very often.

One thing about the Amico pilot wings is that there are two different style dies. If you look at the shields the style with the curved hallmarks have a higher profile which creates a more curved looked when viewing the wing straight on. This also makes the area with the horizontals appear taller and the valleys between the verticals are deeper. The shield with the "early mark" as shown in post #7 is nearly flat. I posted photos showing this difference before but can't find them.

I've never seen the "early hallmark" in clutch back compared to the curved hallmark being found in both pinback and clutchback, this is probably why many figure the one in only pinback is earlier. Personally I'm of the same opinion that it's an earlier mark based on never seeing it in clutchback. Having said that looking at Costa's new wing it appears to be the curved die with the higher shield so I wonder if it was a transition wing? Just a shot in the dark...

Patchcollector

One thing about the Amico pilot wings is that there are two different style dies. If you look at the shields the style with the curved hallmarks have a higher profile which creates a more curved looked when viewing the wing straight on. This also makes the area with the horizontals appear taller and the valleys between the verticals are deeper. The shield with the "early mark" as shown in post #7 is nearly flat. I posted photos showing this difference before but can't find them.

I've never seen the "early hallmark" in clutch back compared to the curved hallmark being found in both pinback and clutchback, this is probably why many figure the one in only pinback is earlier. Personally I'm of the same opinion that it's an earlier mark based on never seeing it in clutchback. Having said that looking at Costa's new wing it appears to be the curved die with the higher shield so I wonder if it was a transition wing? Just a shot in the dark...

Is this the post that you are referring to?It is in the original thread that I posted last spring when I first got my Amico "Eagle Banner" Wing;

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/206916-wing-makers-mark-id/?hl=%2Bamico+%2Bwing&do=findComment&comment=1622034

I'll attach a screenshot of your post to put in this thread for reference.

post-13386-0-58693000-1415191834.jpg