USAF Communications- Electronics Maintenance badge

flightmac

• 11 months later...

Here is one in my collection. The USAF Basic Communications - Electronics Maintenance Occupational Badge. The badge was authorized to wear from 1987 to 1998 when it was replaced by the Maintenance Badge. The badges changed from the duller silver finish to chrome in the late 1990's.

Mark

post-1786-0-77589600-1445149675.jpg

Here is one in my collection. The USAF Basic Communications - Electronics Maintenance Occupational Badge. The badge was authorized to wear from 1987 to 1998 when it was replaced by the Maintenance Badge. The badges changed from the duller silver finish to chrome in the late 1990's.

Mark

Thank you. Yes, I was awarded the Senior Communications - Electronics Maintenance badge after it was established even though I had retrained as a Flight Engineer (aircrew). I was asking because that design is now the Radar and Airfield Systems Maintenance badge and people where I work were looking for them. I'm a Civil Service Instructor for the Airfield Systems maintenance course. The Air Force decided that Ground Radar Maintenace and Airfield Systems career fields were not a "cyber" career field and started transferring the function and personnel from the Communications Squadrons to the Operations Support Squadrons to be with Air Traffic Controllers, Weather Forecasters, and such - http://www.eielson.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123428754

I proposed that the design be reused when it was announced the Airfield guys (& Radar) would no longer be wearing the Cyber badge. When that suggestion was accepted, people were scrambling for the badge; especially ones going to PME, Professional Military Education like the NCO Academy, where you had to wear you current badge. It is now available at the Military Clothing Sales Stores. Sorry to be so long, but I wanted to fully explain the changes.

I would have thought that the other badge would have continued to be worn by those who were qualified. Guess it's better to have a badge that is unique to their duties.

I'm of the era where SPs were awarded a SP Qualification Badge instead of the occupational badge. I was actually issued two: the regular and the mini and its on my discharge because after moving to two other career fields, the AFSC eventually was dropped with exception to what became a "war skill" or WAFSC on my records RIP -- not sure people knew the Air Force actually did that some times.

I continued to wear that badge even after the shift to the occupational badge.

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I'm going to ask my question!!

Didn't the Communications and Information badge take the place of the Communications - Electronics Maintenance Badge? Which was replaced by the Cyber Operator Badge?