Latest USMC purchase - muster roll help?

bellasilva

Just won this on ebay - really only because I've been searching for an example of a WWII USMC dog tag stamped on an Army tag. These examples mostly stem from the abundance of Army tags laying around when a Marine would either lose theirs or need a new set stamped. I wasn't able to do any real research as my Ancestry and fold3 accounts are expired but I do see him on the USS Kaula at one point. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

post-104906-0-30276200-1414684079.jpg

I found him on a ancestry but I'm unable to add attachments.

The muster rolls show him show him

Station: First Guard Company, Marine Barracks, Us Submarine Base, Coco Solo, Canal Zone - July 1942 where he is listed as private with a $15 fine for violation of a lawful barracks order

Station: Fourth Guard Company, Marine Barracks, Naval Operating Base, Balboa, Cz. -- April 1944 private first class

Station: ?? San Diego California. -- July 1944 private first class. "Tried and conv by SCM by ACL fr 8:00"

Station: Hq, Replnbn, Tranc, Fmf, Pac, C/O Fpo, San Francisco, Calif. ---- October 1944 private first class

Station: Hq, Replmbm, Tranc, Fmf, Pac, C/O Fpo, Sam Francisco, Calif. --- October 1945 private first class

U.S., Department of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File, 1850-2010 about Theodore Lajoy

Name: Theodore Lajoy

Birth Date: 2 Nov 1923

Death Date: 13 Jun 1975

SSN: 091183266

Branch 1: M

Enlistment Date 1: 12 Dec 1941

Release Date 1: 1 Dec 1945

You guys are the best- I truly appreciate it. Any chance his Oct 44 muster roll lists an MOS for him?

763 - searchlight operator

He ended up with the 6th Defense Bn, which I think spent the war at Midway Island.

You guys are quick..Thank you Bob and CHASEUSA!

Real question is, where did he get it made, since I doubt the USMC and USN had an Army stamping machine lying around

Real question is, where did he get it made, since I doubt the USMC and USN had an Army stamping machine lying around

When I get a moment I'll post a picture of the back of the tag, as it is completely smooth (like the average WWII USMC/USN tag). This indicates to me that the same stamping method was used, just with an Army tag. I've seen only a handful of these examples in my time collecting dog tags.

Edit- Here's a shot of the back from the auction, not the best picture but you get the idea. The print of the stamping is also identical to that of a normal USMC tag, which indicates to me that all they had that moment were some Army tags laying around. I've seen at most 3 or 4 of these examples before and they were dated to Marine who would've been overseas at the time.

post-104906-0-96078700-1414692486.jpg

From what I recall, the notch in the Army tag was meant to go against a pin or post to stabilize it, I imagine that the USMC machine was designed to take the specific shape tag as well

From what I recall, the notch in the Army tag was meant to go against a pin or post to stabilize it, I imagine that the USMC machine was designed to take the specific shape tag as well

While that is true, the USMC must have found a way for their stamping machine to accept Army tags as well (not quite sure what the construction of said machine was or what their limits were). I'll try and dig up pictures of the other examples I've seen in the meantime

Also just wanted to bring up another anomaly from my collection, a post WWII (1947ish) tag to a Marine with stamping similar to that of a typical Army tag, with raised lettering on the back. It was discussed here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/169182-interesting-usmc-dog-tag/

post-104906-0-42013800-1414695467.jpg

Just got the dog tag in today, and couldn't be happier with it. It appears to be a monel tag, and has a few words scratched in on the flat reverse, although I can't quite make out what they say. Any suggestions? Also took a couple pictures to better show the wear and patina.

post-104906-0-85350400-1415312595.jpg

Hello Bellasilva,

this dog tag is quite interesting ... the owner enlisted early, just after Pearl Harbor in december 1941 so yours is a restamp, probably made around april 1943 or just after. At that time, he was in the Panama canal zone, perhaps in contact with Army units.

Anyway, a nice and very uncommon USMC tag B)

Regards,

E

Thanks etienne! It is definitely an interesting tag, I figured he must have had some contact with Army personnel and most likely lost his tags, and what was readily available were Army tags. It displays nicely with my collection, now if only I could catch up to you with your awesome dog tag collection!

Very nice dog tag, congrats. I have a 43 navy dog tag on a army tag like this with the navy/USMC script. I have yet to research him. Now I'm curious if he was in contact with army. I'll have to get the research. Thanks for posting.

Todd

Very nice dog tag, congrats. I have a 43 navy dog tag on a army tag like this with the navy/USMC script. I have yet to research him. Now I'm curious if he was in contact with army. I'll have to get the research. Thanks for posting.

Todd

Thanks! I'd love to see your tag, any chance you can post a picture? It's been fun hunting down different variations of tags. I think the ultimate (for me) would be a USMC tag stamped with Army info. I'm not quite sure an example exists but who knows, stranger things have happened!

post-102692-0-17169900-1415468167.jpg

Here are the two examples I have. One hand stamped on a army monel tag and the other navy/usmc script. I have only been collecting tags for about a year now, and I am hooked. I find it enjoyable doing the research, if tags could only talk.

Very cool! A hand stamped tag is another example I've been searching for. If you haven't already, I suggest looking up forum member USdog's web page. He's got a pretty extensive collection of tags and the history behind them (KIA, Medal of Honor recipient etc).