CBI glider pilot G wing

Tonomachi

I purchased this glider pilot wing some 15 years ago at the Great Western Gun Show (Pomona, California) for thirty five dollars. I saw one pop up on I think eBay a while ago. It looks like a cast so I was wondering if it was an authentic piece or a copy.

post-1389-1214849648.jpg

post-1389-1214849658.jpg

post-1389-1214849669.jpg

John Cooper

Hello,

Well as you know this is a cast wing. As to who made it and when is anyone's guess... Is it the photo or the lighting that make is look gold?

This may have been done in the CBI as a sweetheart wing if it is gold.

John

Hello,

Well as you know this is a cast wing. As to who made it and when is anyone's guess... Is it the photo or the lighting that make is look gold?

This may have been done in the CBI as a sweetheart wing if it is gold.

John

It is hard to describe the color as it sort of looks like a darken medium gray at a distance but when you get closer it has some gold undertones.

This Wing Badge is typical of cast wings made in the CBI for wear by troops who needed them. They were made in China and India and I'd guess this one came out of the Karachi area. I've seen real crude productions and a few very nice silver wings as well . Hard to 'authenicate' them but they were 'there'.

Bobgee

John Cooper

Bobgee - take a look at at the wing below. This is an example I got for $5 now the problem is when was it made... Did someone have several made in the CBI to sell to guys who did not have any or was this made last week.

castacfh5.jpg

castac1qv6.jpg

I guess if you bought it from a vet you would feel more confident but for me the cast examples of wings are a tough sell. I am open to any and all thoughts on this topic.

"Did someone have several made in the CBI to sell to guys who did not have any or was this made last week."

John - there was more than several. Any type of insignia which was possibly going to be wanted by an American or Brit was made and sold in the bazaars. This is why we encounter so much "theatre-made" stuff from the CBI. The aircrew wing (post#18) is of a generally higher quality than most cast wings I have seen. I would say it's vintage and its value is in the eye of the beholder.....that's why you have it for $5.00! I think it's actually pretty exotic.....if not pretty! ;)

My 2-cents! bobgee

quote name='bobgee' date='Jun 30 2008, 03:10 PM' post='158185']

"Did someone have several made in the CBI to sell to guys who did not have any or was this made last week."

John - there was more than several. Any type of insignia which was possibly going to be wanted by an American or Brit was made and sold in the bazaars. This is why we encounter so much "theatre-made" stuff from the CBI. The aircrew wing (post#18) is of a generally higher quality than most cast wings I have seen. I would say it's vintage and its value is in the eye of the beholder.....that's why you have it for $5.00! I think it's actually pretty exotic.....if not pretty! ;)

My 2-cents! bobgee

This is a pic of one of the stalls where these insignia were sold. Pic is copied from Vol.1 Hump Pilot's Asscociation History (1980) Note the sheets of CBI patches, These are bullion, hand-done and waiting to be purchased and finished with backing. A friend of mine traveling in Karachi around 1975 found a treasure trove of this stuff. I got a pile of it! All gone, now! Enjoy! bobgee

CBI_Bazaar_Stall.JPG

John Cooper

Bobgee - my point about some guy was just to highlight my specific wing and my lack of information for the CBI made wings. I will run my by a few folks to get additional opinions.

Maybe some other folks can post what they have in the way of CBI cast wings or other insignia to do some comparisons.

John

WOW!! Great period photo! Thanks for sharing.

-Ski

I second that. Its a fantastic picture w00t.gif

John Cooper

Well so far I have struck out on this. So far it would appear it comes down to if it is a biographical wing. I would love to hear other opinions on cast wings. Do not be shy guys... voice your opinions.

John

Cast wings from the CBI are not really an issue. Proving them, as noted above, is the issue. To get the maiximum amount of money when you sell them they must have provenance that is impeccable. But, there are a lot of legitimate examples that have been tossed in the trash because people didn't trust them. The top gider wing is unusual in a lot of respects. The material is unusual, the font is weird, the pin is what you would normally see on a Aussie made or UK made wing, but overall I like it. Johns wing on the other hand had a couple of warning signs that I don't like. The filing on the back is a big warning sign for me. They honestly didn't care what the back looked like and were good enough in the casting process that there was very little excess. The pin is the other warning. The point is not as blunt as the originals that you see. But for 5 bucks who cares! Wear it on your hat and don't worry about it!

BTW that picture is fantastic!

Cheers

Gary