Small and Smaller WWI era US Air Service wings

rustywings

I have several of the smaller type wings you seek. Here's a case half full of them. Don't mind all of those pesky discs which are a distraction...take a look at the bottom half for several smaller type wings & sweetheart pieces. I have a few others that didn't make it into the photo op. I'll have to share those at a later date.

-Chuck.

post-518-0-21849600-1417156402.jpg

Chuck, you sure have an impressive assortment of Air Services collar disks, insignia and sweetheart pieces! Nice collection! Thank you for posting.

Here's a colorful WWI era sweetheart piece which is 1 & 5/8 inches in width.

IMG_6272.JPG

IMG_6275.JPG

This post WWI Pilot wing, which is 1 & 3/4 inches in width, has thirteen stars in the upper shield which gives it an early 1920's appearance.

IMG_6297.JPG

IMG_6301.JPG

• 1 month later...

Here's three variations of early ground crew wings. The radial engines and wings are all struck with one piece dies. Each is approximately 1.5 inches in width. These are most likely sweetheart pieces, however the middle example was removed from a WWI enlisted O/S cap.

IMG_6438.JPG

The top example is hallmarked "Green - Sterling." The middle example is hallmarked with the letter "A" in the center of an apple and "STERLING" above. The bottom example is unmarked.

IMG_6439.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here are a few of the miniture wings I have in my collection.

Gary,

Thank you for sharing your collection of smaller size badges. Any chance of getting a closer look at the Pilot wing and matching half-wing found in your first image? I've not seen this pattern before? Are they die-struck, or cast?

Russ

• 2 months later...

I recently found this Kinney and Company WW1 wing. I'm not sure but maybe I win the prize for the smallest? Enjoy:

post-594-0-39973300-1432420849.jpg

post-594-0-99707800-1432420875.jpg

post-594-0-30047000-1432420893.jpg

rustywings

So small, they could only fit five stars in the upper shield. But you've got to love ANY size wing with an authentic Kinney Co. hallmark! Chris, thanks for posting...

My Favorite is the Little Mini-Dallas Wing....I could look for hours....

What a CREATIVE way to capture the detailed excellence of these wings as training in gratitude, patience, discipline and the learned appreciation of the micro-detailed artistry of this level of wing collecting My Friend; all preparation in the Responsibility of Stewardship, before being Blessed with one of the finest collections in the world...outstanding story of the True Wingman spirit applied to a lifetime.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's a nice 2.25 inch width US gold wing I just acquired. I'm pretty sure it's silver with gold plating.

Made by Eisenstadt possibly?

Bob

Nice wing Bob! Thanks for sharing the images...

• 4 years later...

Thought I'd add to this thread's 'collection'. Very detailed workmanship with non-typical construction. It's 2 1/8" wide with a 14K mark on the catch. Above the 14K mark there is an old style straight trumpet with another indistinguishable mark at the end of the horn bell. Does anyone know about this hallmark?

IMG_0775.jpeg.a9109e6bec518f260c58484a7202fb13.jpegIMG_0780.jpeg.60453d3da33663b01c06a2e50d0b4594.jpegIMG_0784.jpeg.99ffca3924039113200c9e18659b1760.jpeg

5thwingmarty

Steve, there is a wing in the same pattern but with an enameled shield on Bob's website.  That wing is part of Cliff's collection, and is attributed there to being from Tiffany & Co.  I don't see any Tiffany hallmark, and wonder if the attribution was based just on the Blanchard catch?  Does anyone know if Blanchard had their own hallmark at that time they might have used on their fittings?  I have seen some later insignia with fittings having the Noble hallmark on them, so some fitting manufacturers did mark them.  With all of the real-estate on the back of the wing, I cannot imagine that the wing maker would have chosen the fitting as the spot to apply their hallmark.

Also, I had posted this wing in Chris' Eisenstadt WWI post, but thought it would fit in here as well.  It is 1.75" wide with a beautifully enameled shield.

Eisenstadt front.JPG

Eisenstadt rear.JPG

5thwingmarty

And to out-do Chris' post for the smallest wing, here is my nomination.  I believe this is a Noble made wing as it matches one in the Noble catalog and it comes in at a whopping 7/16" in span.

little noble front.JPG

little noble rear.JPG

5thwingmarty

Here are a few more of my sweethearts with early post WWI vintage patterns.  First is a pair of wings very similar to the Durocharm wing Russ posted, both 1-7/16" in span, but neither is metal or maker marked.  

Next is a 1-3/16" wing with an acorn shield, only marked sterling.

And finally is my 1-9/16" Aeronaut wing, which I believe is from Kinney but it has no metal or make mark.

18-star fronts.JPG

18-star rears.JPG

acorn shield front.JPG

acorn shield rear.JPG

Kinney Aeronaut front.JPG

Kinney Aeronaut rear.JPG

5thwingmarty

A couple more to add to the thread.  The Naval Aviator sweetheart is about 1-1/4" and is marked Sterling. The RMA piece is about 7/8" and the clasp nut is marked GF Back (gold filled?) and has a duck.  The RMA piece itself is marked Sterling and has a maker's name that wraps around the screw, but I cannot figure it out.  It looks like the first letter is an F and the last three might be MAN.  If anyone recognizes this please let me know who it is.

WWI smalls fronts.JPG

WWI smalls rears.JPG

RMA hallmark.JPG