Small and Smaller WWI era US Air Service wings

rustywings

How about this enlisted guy wearing a set of wings over his breast pocket. Are my eyes deceiving me or are those wings of a smaller dimension? For perspective, compare it with the typical size being worn by another enlisted aviator to his immediate right...

The image was taken aboard the USS Charleston on Easter Morning 1919.

post-518-0-07664500-1415946265.jpg

Any other small WWI era wings out there? Please share your wings or old photographs depicting small wings with us. I bet there's at least a couple of dozen fellow collectors amongst us who would love to see those variations!

Jay, thank you for your comments and support.

Here's a small 1.5 inch wide interwar period Balloon Pilot wing with a STERLING mark and a "Dodge, Inc. - Chicago" hallmark.

IMG_6236.JPG

IMG_6234a.jpg

Not WWI era, this much later 1 & 5/8 inch wide one-piece Senior Balloon Pilot wing has a starburst pattern on the back.

IMG_6238.JPG

IMG_6239.JPG

A nicely feathered 1920's era Air Ship Pilot wing which is 1 & 5/8 inch wide. Not hallmarked, I believe this little badge was made by the Kinney Company.

IMG_6249.JPG

The full size badge has a Kinney Company hallmark. The smaller badge has a different style catch and only a 'STERLING' mark on the back.

IMG_6247.JPG

I really like that Dodge Ballon pilot! Very rarely do you see any dodge marked pilot wings I didn't have aNY idea they made balloon wings. Thanks for showing us some of your outstanding collection.

Thank you Mike. I've only run across the 'Dodge Inc. - Chicago' hallmark on small examples of Pilot, Observer and Balloon Pilot wings so far. There certainly may be other Dodge-made aerial badges in addition to those three. Have you seen other examples?

Here's a very small one-inch wide B.B.&B. hallmarked Air Ship Pilot wing. Since it's nicely detailed and well made, my guess is it was made to be worn on the lapel of civilian attire. Any other information or ideas are welcome.

IMG_6255.JPG

IMG_6253.JPG

Comparison shot of my three different size Air Ship Pilot badges. (One inch; one and one-half inches; and three inches). Is there a two-inch version out there?

IMG_6254a.jpg

This 1/2 inch wide early gilt Balloon Pilot wing applied to a WWI Victory Medal is the smallest of the bunch. The wing is a pin-back with an old open 'C' catch.

IMG_6283.JPG

IMG_6284.JPG

IMG_6285a.jpg

Russ is too humble to say, but I think he has one of the FINEST wing collections around. Combine that with his great store of knowledge, and his willingness to share, and we have one of the great assets as to the collecting community and the forum.

Thanks Russ!

Jay, Patrick, Mike and Charlie,

After watching so much stupidity unfold last night on the television, then going to bed with deep feelings of anger and frustration, I've got to tell you, it was a well timed attitude-changer this morning when I logged onto the Forum and viewed your kind words and participation on this thread. Thank you Gents!

Here's a couple of 1.5 inch wide gilt sweetheart wings. Similar in design, the bottom wing is likely an early post WWI piece since the "US" was omitted.

IMG_6256.JPG

Post WWI, early Army Air Corps enamel design with uncommon down-swept wings. This 1.5 inch wide sweetheart wing is stamped with another hallmark that I'm not familiar with?

IMG_6266.JPG

IMG_6268.JPG

Comparison image. One sweetheart with an Air Service roundel...the other with an early Army Air Corps star with meatball.

IMG_6270.JPG

I've been enjoying watching this thread for a while. Russ, an amazing selection of early minis!

Now that we are including early post-war, I can add one - a 2" Kinney with replaced catch.

Regards

Mike

post-11042-0-35375100-1417038442.jpg

Nice Kinney Co. made Pilot badge Mike! Even though the catch has been replaced, it was repaired with a quality period lever style catch which I think helps to maintain the wings desirability.