Small and Smaller WWI era US Air Service wings

rustywings

During my school years as a financially struggling student, I couldn't afford those beautiful full-size WWI Pilot wings so many of us wish we could add to our collections. But I did pacify my collecting urges by focusing on the much smaller and affordable WWI lapel wings, sweetheart wings and overseas cap wings. I'd like to share some images of those small but detailed little wings.

This first small wing looks very similar to a WWI Dallas wing. It's 1.5 inches in width.

IMG_6010.JPG

The reverse is marked STERLING; Pat. Pend. and ROY S...or S Roy? The larger letter "S" is interwoven with the smaller letter "O" in the name Roy. I've not identified this hallmark. Any ideas?

IMG_6012.JPG

This Air Service badge is very similar to an Eisenstadt pattern and may well have been made by them, but it's not hallmarked.

This wing is 1.75 inches in width and has incised stars in the shield.

IMG_6026.JPG

Comparison shot of the first three small wings. Since these wings are as well detailed as their full-size counterparts, I believe these were originally made for wear on the Pilot's overseas cap. And I'm confident many of these small wings were also sent home as gifts to loved ones...hence the "sweetheart" connection.

IMG_6007.JPG

Hey Jay, Patchcollector and Cliff, I appreciate you positive responses...especially after posting such poor images. I have about a dozen of these little WWI Pilot wings I wanted to post, but I'm struggling to find the right settings for such small wings. I've yet to post a picture which properly portrays the detail in these little "sweetheart" wings. I'll try again using outdoor sunlight.

Here's a re-due of the back of the small Dallas wing. Anyone recognize this WWI era S-Roy or Roy-S hallmark?

IMG_6048.JPG

This little 1.5 inch wide wing by "Haltom" of Ft. Worth, Texas is very different in design when compared to the full size version.

IMG_5979.JPG

I've always associated the "Durocharm" hallmark with true "charm" jewelry like son-in-service pins and sweetheart pieces.

Here's one of their 1 & 3/8 inch wide WWI Pilot wings. Beautiful design and lots of fine detail...but you have to be within a foot's distance to appreciate it!

IMG_5995.JPG

Incised "DUROCHARM - N.Y.C." hallmark and STERLING mark. (I didn't even seen that damn white thread from the Riker Mount until

posted it here. Sorry for the image distraction.)

IMG_6031.JPG

This example is similar in design, but a step down in detail when compared to the wing above. It is also 1 & 5/8 inches in width...and the silver 'US' letters have been added to the shield.

IMG_5970a.jpg