A Question of Respect: The Wear of Overseas Bars on Field Uniforms in WWII

michi4773

Hi. This is my first post, so please bear with me. I have a repro M-43 field jacket that I got because of a photo I have if my dad from WWII. I know that I can put his unit patches on there but can I put his Private stripes and overseas service bars on there as well? I ask because I would like to wear the jacket on occasion but I don't want to do anything to disrespect any veterans. Thanks for your help.

At his age and the sacrifice he made serving in WWII - he is entitled to wear his "stuff" any way he wants!

My .02

Best wishes to your Dad!!

Bill

Hi. This is my first post, so please bear with me. I have a repro M-43 field jacket that I got because of a photo I have if my dad from WWII. I know that I can put his unit patches on there but can I put his Private stripes and overseas service bars on there as well? I ask because I would like to wear the jacket on occasion but I don't want to do anything to disrespect any veterans. Thanks for your help.

There is someone in every county, city, state and country that wear those items all the time.We have had this discussion numerous times. ..as long as you are not misrepresenting your self as something you are not...I would not have a problem with that.

There are two points of view on this. I used take the rank insignia off of flight jackets and suits my Dad and other pilots gave me. Certainly it would have been inappropriate to wear rank insignia on base. Dad actually suggested I put the proper rank on one of his jackets that I had restored. I see it as a tribute to him. If anyone says anything, I would say "this is my Dad's. i am not pretending to be him, I am honering him". It also helps if the item is not a current issue uniform. Some might not agree, and I would enjoy hearing their reasoning.

Here's the other thing... it's no longer a currently used uniform. It's not like you're trying to claim that you are something that you are not. I say wear it proudly!

He would not have worn overseas stripes or service bars on his field jacket.

Other than that, I agree, do what you feel most comfortable with. One thing that is an advantage for you, is nobody is likely to bother you about wearing PFC stripes, if it were a Master Sargent's stripes or Colonel's eagles, that might be a different story.

Thanks. I appreciate the understanding. I am doing it ad a way to honor him and his memory and his service, which he never spoke of but I feel I need to do for him. It's something I'm very proud of.

Other than that, I agree, do what you feel most comfortable with. One thing that is an advantage for you, is nobody is likely to bother you about wearing PFC stripes, if it were a Master Sargent's stripes or Colonel's eagles, that might be a different story.

Overseas Bars were indeed worn by some in the ETO, towards the end, but behind the lines though, seen more during the occupation period, probably the fall of 1945, might of been done in Japan too. There is a photo out there in books, maybe online somewhere (of course I can't find it) of two 1st Div GIs from around March 45, one holds an M1 Bazooka, while the other holds the new M9 Bazooka, both of them are wearing a rack of OS bars, North Africa vets on, real survivors, steel pots beat up with beat up nets, and they are wearing the M41 field jackets. This photo was I bet taken when their unit whatever it was, even down to battalion level was resting, as I would think OS Bars would of been worn under any cirumstance in the line.

Overseas bars were won on the M43. I have two from the vets that have them on.

Ray

Overseas bars were won on the M43. I have two from the vets that have them on.

Ray

They also could be worn on the EM Wool Overcoat, seen that before.

True, I actually have several M43s with them too. However, I know both are from the occupation. I think that one needs to be cautious about making broad assumptions based on a photo of a rear echelon guy or from the occupation.

That said, I agree with you, they could have been worn, but I don't think that was regulation, and I don't think it was very commonly done before the war ended. I also think if you are talking percentages, the vast majority of these jackets were worn without any patches or rank insignia during the war. Afterwards, I agree is a different story.

What I had in my mind was that the he wanted to come up with something that represented what his father would have most likely worn in combat, and I think that would have been without these stripes. Probably the most authentic looking wartime combat M43 would have the outlines of where the patches were, because the patches often came off when the units went into action.

Wear it like your father did to honor his service. If somebody says something just tell them you are honoring your father's service. Then ask them what they did in the war!

Wear it like your father did to honor his service. If somebody says something just tell them you are honoring your father's service. Then ask them what they did in the war!

Nicely stated!

He was in a few...he started out in the Illinois National Guard and after Pearl Harbor he was sent to Camp Forrest TN where he was in the 33rd Infantry. He was in E Company of the 108th Combat Engineers. Then he got sent to Hawaii and he was in the 6th Armored Division, in the 627th Tank Destroyers. He mentioned Schofield Barracks and Hilo a lot. Then according to his discharge papers he went to Europe but I have absolutely no idea where or with what unit because no one ever mentioned that EVER. It also says on his DD214 that at time of discharge he was PFC Theodore C Gulik 4283 QM Depot SUPL CO.

Sorry the answer is so long, but he really seemed to move around a lot. I think he may have been a...problem for his commanding officers at times ;)

Any way you could post this picture you are using as reference? I'm sure everyone would love to see it.

I'm with everyone else, build the jacket like you want (accurate or tribute) and wear it with pride. No one with half a brain will accuse you of impersonation or stolen valor wearing a WWII era uniform.

double canister

I'd say do it. And Michelle, if you're lacking any of the period insignia, let me know on this forum or iamilitarycollectors.freeforums.net.

mw

I will post the photos tomorrow. I'm using his wedding picture as a reference for what patches he has but mine will be different to represent the different units he was in. I have 4 altogether but they are reproductions. His originals are in a shadow box I made. I don't want anything to happen to those :)

• 2 weeks later...

Overseas Bars were indeed worn by some in the ETO, towards the end, but behind the lines though, seen more during the occupation period, probably the fall of 1945, might of been done in Japan too. There is a photo out there in books, maybe online somewhere (of course I can't find it) of two 1st Div GIs from around March 45, one holds an M1 Bazooka, while the other holds the new M9 Bazooka, both of them are wearing a rack of OS bars, North Africa vets on, real survivors, steel pots beat up with beat up nets, and they are wearing the M41 field jackets. This photo was I bet taken when their unit whatever it was, even down to battalion level was resting, as I would think OS Bars would of been worn under any cirumstance in the line.

And here's the photo, doesn't say 1st Divsion in caption but from what I remember in seeing this in a book a long time ago stated that they were from the 1st Div.

post-34986-0-53064400-1415328313.jpg

And one more, 1945 again, most likey just after V-E Day, this time with the OS Bars worn on the OD wool shirt by a he's got two years overseas so a 1st? Armd Div Soldier.

post-34986-0-20264200-1415328406.jpg

Intersting pics. Never saw those on non dress-there's the proof-at least for that day.

I honored my grandfathers uncles and fathers service by doing my own service.

I always marvel at those who never take that step but are so enthusiastic about it.