Green Oxidation Removal?

josegarcia8578

josegarcia8578

Hey guys!

I'm trying to clean up a M1923 Garand ammo belt but the snaps have green corrosion, how can you clean this? Any methods? also the small choles in which the canteen attaches also have green corrosion. I was looking for an old thread but I was not able to find it. I appreciate any help!

Thanks!

-Jose

It's verdegris...it usually has a wax like consistency. I use a wooden toothpick(s) and gently remove it that way...it will remove the gunk without scratching the metal...after you get the majority of it off, you can wipe it with a clean cloth using firm pressure and the metal's patina should look fine....just be sure to not rub it into the cloth.....

Mark sends

I start with a brass brush and then use the toothpicks for the detail work. Be sure to dig as far as you can under the snaps: there's a surprising amount of green gunk under there.

Scrape as much off as you can with toothpicks, or a toothbrush. Then pour baking soda on the verdigris areas, then pour white vinegar over the baking soda. It will foam up, so just let it work. Then scrub them with hot soapy water, rinse, and let them dry. Danny

The way i do it is, dip a toothbrush into some white vinegar, touch a little baking soda onto the toothbrush then brush it then i use a tooth pick for the detailing. It works like a charm.

-Dave

josegarcia8578

Thanks guys, I went out to get the supplies today. I will be using a toothbrush with vinegar and baking soda to clean up the rivets. Will update some pictures once I finish. Hopefully it works. Thanks to all of you!

josegarcia8578

Do you guys know if the vinegar and baking soda stain the web gear canvas? Im cleaning a grand belt. Thanks!

The Dremel Tool has a small brush that is shaped like a bell....sort of. The brush is almost the exact size as the eyeless on your belt. I clean it with that. It doesn't scratch the eyelet. You need to be careful though to not get onto the belt as it can rough up the webbing. I've gotten pretty good at cleaning them this way. Btw it doesn't scratch the eyelet because I'm not placing a lot of pressure on it. Practice on something funky until you get the feel.

Ronnie