MOTG-81 Decal USMC WWII

jpstout

Marine Operational Training Squadron 81, MCAS, Cherry Point (1943 Feb to 1945 Dec):

Decal on masonite designed at Disney Studios, decal roughly 9.5 x 9.0 inches. Very nice! In Millsteins, described as silk-screen on aircraft fabric, which I have never seen. Only the decal have I encountered. Sometimes decals have been mistaken for silk-screened designs. Perhaps that is the case here...any comments or info, threw 'em on.

pat

post-3673-0-29733900-1413953622.jpg

Johnny Signor

Looks real to me , only thing in question is it not having the "Disney" copyright on it , but they may have been done that way .

Hi Johnny,

A good point to bring up. With regard to the decals used by the USMC aviation squadrons in WWII, no Disney signature/copyright is present. In fact, it is rare to find any lettering on these decals. Here, the MOTG-81was applied because it was a training unit and stateside.

regards,

pat

Thanks Thor. i just love my hobby and I love sharing my knowledge. I meant to add the item in this post was up on eBay not too long ago. Not sure if it sold.

BTW, the companion gallery-style website for my book Service With Character should be finished very soon. The site will showcase hundreds of items from my collection.