Need help to identify USAF (?)patch

CW4AFB

Gents--any info on the patch in the middle? It says 32 Tac Ftr Sqdrn (USAFE) but sure looks like a british style patch with the crown and all...I know USAFE used to stand for United States Air Force Europe and it sure looks like the Big Bad Wolf is in the center---any ideas?

Our Air Force brothers wouldn't wear a patch with a Royal Crown on it, would they? Now, I have seen them drink Crown Royal...

It came with the 1st Army patch and the "M de S" (Marquis de Sade?) patch at local junk show yesterday.

post-2235-1214782391.jpg

Laury Allison
Gents--any info on the patch in the middle? It says 32 Tac Ftr Sqdrn (USAFE) but sure looks like a british style patch with the crown and all...I know USAFE used to stand for United States Air Force Europe and it sure looks like the Big Bad Wolf is in the center---any ideas?

Our Air Force brothers wouldn't wear a patch with a Royal Crown on it, would they? Now, I have seen them drink Crown Royal...

It came with the 1st Army patch and the "M de S" (Marquis de Sade?) patch at local junk show yesterday.

It is the 32nd Tactical Fighter Squadron (USAFE), just like it says. It was at Camp New Amsterdam, Holland. This was the only unit authorized to wear the crown on their insignia. If you do a Google or Yahoo search for the unit, you should find out plenty of information about this unit and their insignia.

There were several variations of these, including a Christmas version.

Laury

It is the 32nd Tactical Fighter Squadron (USAFE), just like it says. It was at Camp New Amsterdam, Holland. This was the only unit authorized to wear the crown on their insignia. If you do a Google or Yahoo search for the unit, you should find out plenty of information about this unit and their insignia.

There were several variations of these, including a Christmas version.

Laury

Laury--thanks---I did just that and you are right---there's a bunch of info about the 32nd and its unique status---looks like I lucked into getting a pretty nice patch really cheap.....now if I ever figure out the "M de S" patch, I'll really be in tall cotton...

Al

It is not emulating a BRITISH Squadron badge, but rather a DUTCH one....which in turn, from WWII connections, uses the RAF style. The crown is a Dutch one.

• 3 weeks later...

Having just joined this group, it's my habit of starting in the last page of the forums and working my way forward, Thus I read them all.

This little jewel I know something about,

The 32nd Fighter Day (F-100's - Later: Fighter Interceptor [F-102A's], Tactical Fighter [F-4's , & F-15's]) Squadron was assigned to USAFE and stationed at Camp New Amsterdam on Soesterberg AB, Netherlands The 32nd upon receiving it's F-102 aircraft was assigned the responsibility the Air Defense of the Netherlands, and was placed under Operational Control of the Queen & the RNAF. The Netherlands made an informal request for the placement of the crown and wreath on the insignia which was at first denied as contrary to US Air Force Requlations, A Formal request by the Dutch Government, endorsed by the Queen was sent to Washington and approved by SECDEF with the requirement when the unit left the Netherlands the "Wreath and Crown of the House of Orange" was to be removed. I have, or (I hope not) had (they may be on an old crashed hard drive) scans of the authorization letters & approval action for the Wreath and Crown. Andrew, the ties to England of the house of Orange to the English Monarchy dates to the period of William & Mary - Late 1600, Very Early 1700's.

Terry L Horstead

HERE IS THE OFFICIAL US ARMY TIOH ARTWORK AFTER THE CROWN & WREATH OF THE HOUSE OF ORANGE WERE ADDED

TERRY L. HORSTEAD

post-3627-1216720746.jpg

Steindaddie

M de S patch - Ministère de Sécurité ??? This just my highly esteemed and highly uneducated WAG (Wild Assed Guess)