Model of 1917 Machine Gun Cart Paulin

Brian Keith

Here is an uncommon accessory for the Model of 1917 Machine Gun Cart. It is the canvas cover that protects it from the elements and it was part of the equipment for each cart, ammunition or gun cart. It is a very tan color canvas. The finished size is 58 ½ inches High by 69 inches wide. The “wide“ size is if you read the “US” correctly. It has eight steel rings sewn into it for grommets on the four corners and in the center of each side. There are ropes attached to each grommet and braided on so they cannot be easily removed. The front edge (if you can correctly read the “US”) has a reinforcing edge. The “US” letters are three inches high and the company letters are ½ inch high. It has no maker marks.

BKW

post-1549-0-90021700-1413774828.jpg

post-1549-0-79903900-1413774846.jpg

post-1549-0-82404000-1413774854.jpg

That is really a neat find. I've been negotiating a price on two M1917 ammo carts for a long time. if/when I get them, that's something that I'll need to watch for.

Thanks for you interest and comments. This was found by a buddy a several years ago from an old time antique dealer who used to get real surplus from the Jeffersonville, IN Depot. It does display well with our Model of 1917 Machine Gun Ammunition Cart. I sent the specks to a fellow in northern Indiana who is going to have some reproductions made for carts in his collection.

BKW

• 5 years later...
bmbrzmn101
On 10/20/2014 at 4:33 PM, Brian Keith said:

Thanks for you interest and comments. This was found by a buddy a several years ago from an old time antique dealer who used to get real surplus from the Jeffersonville, IN Depot. It does display well with our Model of 1917 Machine Gun Ammunition Cart. I sent the specks to a fellow in northern Indiana who is going to have some reproductions made for carts in his collection.

BKW

Brian, May I get some specs on this tarp also. I would love to find one myself. But a repro may have to do for the time being.

Thanks, Chris

Brian Keith

Hi Chris,

I'll try to dig up my old photos and measurements or reshoot them. I suspect this is an item that would be very hard to find on the loose anymore. This would have been a handy size tarp for camping and farmers to use, so likely most simply were used up after hitting the surplus market. My buddy paid nearly nothing for it but it is quite an uncommon item!

Best Regards

BKW