Sign in to follow this  
Bearmon

REALLY small PATCHES - Ball Cap size

Everything here is under 2.5 inches most are 2 inches or smaller, again please add to the post.

post-582-0-64881600-1413752979.jpg

post-582-0-42460800-1413752988.jpg

donation2018.gif
donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

I think on ball caps I can't figure anything else... most if not all of the I have seen are either Carriers or Aviation related so perhaps on a helmet bag...

donation2018.gif
donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

They were worn wherever the owner wanted to wear them. None of these patches are " issue". Manufactures find ways to move more product by making various sizes. I have seen all three sizes on the same jacket. Big one on the back tended to be early career, then regular size, then as the jacket fills up, shift to small ones. I don't recall ever seeing any of these on a hat. Not saying they didn't, just don't recall

While I do not want to start an argument as I have no personal experience, I have found since locating a handful of these that their main purpose was for wearing on ball caps. It depended on the command from the 60's into the very early70's. I am having problems loading pics right now but hope to show mine, I sold one from the Sampson to a former crew member a few years back and he was kind enough to send me copies of a Sampson cruise book showing enlisted up to and including the CO with this type of patch on a ball cap. Although it is true that these ended up on utility jackets I think the main purpose was ball caps and I also think that a review of ships cruise books from the late 60's to 70 or 71 will support this.

Quite true, just seldom used in this fashion. I'm certain that examples of period photos, especially from cruise books, can be displayed but their wear was not widespread on caps throughout the fleet.

This does make them rare to the collector who comes across them.

That is why I said it was based on the command, They are a bit rare but you will never be able to put collections of them by ships class like the jacket patches. A study of cruise books will show that on some ships there will be widespread use and on other ships non existence . I think these were marketed as ball cap patches, did they end up on utility jackets, yes, some guys jackets were just cluttered with patches.

No argument at all! I have no doubt they were intended for ball caps. I just never saw any used that way. I did see them sold in off base shops, the Exchange and ships stores long after command ball caps became standardized. Personally, I would have preferred a nice fitted woolen ball cap with one of these on it to those crappy poly one size fits all name and number caps. My first ship had nice fitted woodie caps, but I caught the last round of those ?

Here is a 2 1/8 patch that I bought at the ships store in 1961.

To my knowledge it is a hat patch.

post-7263-0-95562100-1416704955.jpg

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Here is a Silver Kings seen on a cap I picked up.

post-342-0-96496900-1419125776.jpg

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

post-10825-0-90906000-1419130516.jpg

Shown in wear by the CO (photo provided by member hink441 in original topic on cap)

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/227453-usn-vf-92-cap/

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

Can't speak to the Navy usage of these, but in the USAF they were used not only on caps but ascots and scarves as well. Just another avenue to look at I guess, not sure if the USN was big on those items.

Randy

MSgt USAF (Ret)