B-26 Marauder coming home

Steindaddie

Steindaddie

Since first seeing this photo a couple years ago, I have liked it a lot so I borrowed it from the USAF Historical Research Agency website. Neat in that you can see so much of the crew - pilot, co-pilot, flight engineer, and bombardier. Given the relaxed atmosphere (check out the bombardier having a smoke) I would believe they are heading back to base after a mission.

Check out the AFHRA website and see the photo collection of Capt. Joseph J. Merhar, 9AF photo lab.

http://afhra.maxwell.af.mil/photo_gallerie...J_Merhar_Jr.htm

post-1949-1214760172.jpg

Seeing that just makes me appreciate even more that those aircraft were little more, in terms of size, than a bit of sheet metal and glass built around two really powerful engines and with little room in them for more than a couple tons of bombs! I know they seem large when standing near one, but this picture just gives an entirely different perspective on the B-26 and other similar aircraft from WW2!

I had not seen this wonderful pic before and it said one thing to me.

"Screen Saver"

Thanks for sharing this one. I love it. thumbsup.gif

I believe the B-26 shown is the "Flaming Mamie." She belonged to the 323rd Bombardment Group, 455th Bombardment Squadron and she was as according to the USAAF records MIA on February 25th, 1945.

Regards,

FRISCAN

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What a great photo, says alot! gives you a very good idea just how cramped for space some aircraft could be, my Uncle was a WOP/AG in the RAAF though seconded to the RAF and flew in the Middle East in the medium bomber squadrons, he flew in the Martin Baltimore and was a rear gunner, Colin was 6 Foot tall and he eventually had to be transfered to other work as being so tall and cramped in the back of a Baltimore he ended up with a bad back, he then ended his time flying Air Sea Rescue in the Supermarine Walrus, I have alot of respect for all Airman, doing the job in those days under those conditions and with the losses of men and machines, they were truly brave souls.