Attu Japanese helmet

SEABEE SON

USCapturephotos

A very interesting and forgotten part of the war to be sure. My students are always surprised when I tell them there was fighting off of Alaska during WW2.

Paul

great helmets!!

I have a WIA purple heart group to an Artillery Spotter shot through the collarbone during the final Bonzai charge on Attu.

-Brian

I knew a vet who fought on Attu. He was a mule skinner in the 601st Field Artillery Battalion (Pack). He told some interesting stories about Attu - how a Japanese soldier would come out of a cave, arm a grenade by hitting on his helmet and hold it next to his head. The watching GI's would cheer and applaud. A few minutes later another would come out and do the same thing. This went on for a while. After Attu the Battalion was sent to Italy to fight in the mountains, then through Southern France and ended up in the Bavarian Alps. The vet passed in the early 1970s. I still have the Hitler Youth armband and his unit's DUI he gave me. The only vet I met who fought on the ground against both the Japanese and Germans.

Steve

I also have a white snow camo that might have come from the Aleutian campaign. It is a vet bring back, but could be from Korea, China, the Kuriles or Hokkaido, if not Alaska. I understand that another snow camo was brought back from Kiska or Attu, however. The fighting at higher elevations on Attu was in the snow.

Those are some great helmets. I have a few Japanese items that came off the islands. It is funny how here in Alaska you always hear about "that one guy", or someone's uncles, brother's, second cousin, who has a whole garage full of "that stuff" that they picked up off the island. Some day mabey I will find them. Supposedly, there were tons of Japanese gear in Alaska, even in the pipeline days. Out of curiosity, what part of Alaska are you in? I am in Fairbanks.

I knew a vet who fought on Attu. He was a mule skinner in the 601st Field Artillery Battalion (Pack). He told some interesting stories about Attu - how a Japanese soldier would come out of a cave, arm a grenade by hitting on his helmet and hold it next to his head. The watching GI's would cheer and applaud. A few minutes later another would come out and do the same thing. This went on for a while. After Attu the Battalion was sent to Italy to fight in the mountains, then through Southern France and ended up in the Bavarian Alps. The vet passed in the early 1970s. I still have the Hitler Youth armband and his unit's DUI he gave me. The only vet I met who fought on the ground against both the Japanese and Germans.

Steve

that could explain the battle damage on the second helmet? maybe it was from a Japanese soldier that held a grenade next to his head?

• 1 month later...
ilikemilitaria

I have a deceased relative that was on Attu and fought there in 43. Lots of folks are still not aware that any fighting at all took place there during WWII.

If you do some research, it's interesting how few people were on Attu prior to the war.

dave

Those are really nice helmets, added to their unusual provenance. I would really like to get a good example Japanese helmet for my own collection one day. Thanks for sharing them.

• 1 month later...

Very cool finds! I had a family member that participated in the "Forgotten Campaign" and brought back a type 99 arisaka and bayonet. He told me his time on Attu was some of the worst in the war. I will try to get picture up soon!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Trevor M. Larson

Both my great grandfather Karl Krueger (7th infantry) and my grand father Ed Larson (A company 1st battalion 4th infantry) served up in attu and kiska. I have a kiska invasion map and a few japanese caps, photos, ID Cards from the campaign. I even have a journal of one of them. Love seeing or reading anything on the alaska campaign

That's great, Trevor! It would be interesting to see those items.

I've gotten in a nice grouping from an Aleutian campaign vet and will try to

post up soon.