Attu Japanese helmet

SEABEE SON

I have a special interest in the Aleutian campaign. Maybe because I am an Alaskan.

This helmet is a bringback by an unknown veteran from the Battle of Attu. The first and one of the biggest banzai attacks of the war was carried out there. 3000 Japanese soldiers died in that battle. Very few survived.

I have two Japanese helmets from Attu. Here is one of them.

post-101060-0-35415100-1413699128.jpg

Very cool Japanese helmet and from a very overlooked campaign. That said, Attu was not the location of the first banzai attack, not by a long shot. Not even the first against US troops. I have a small group of items to an Attu KIA. Scott

Very cool Japanese helmet and from a very overlooked campaign. That said, Attu was not the location of the first banzai attack, not by a long shot. Not even the first against US troops. I have a small group of items to an Attu KIA. Scott

You are right, of course. There were other battles, including Guadalcanal, where banzai attacks occurred against US troops. In terms of US casualty rates, however, it was second only to Iwo Jima from what I understand. A forgotten battle, even though it was the only to occur on US soil.

Here are my two Attu helmets together. Both show signs of battle damage and mortality. Both are inscribed. The one on the right is a 1940 dated small helmet with a penciled inscription. It was varnished at some point. It is also named and may be researchable.

post-101060-0-61875800-1413701425.jpg

USCapturephotos

Wow. Those are really interesting war souvenirs. Thanks for sharing. I just recently picked up a P-38 pilots manual. The son said his dad flew over the Aleutians. I haven't done any research on him yet though.

Paul