Show your Sterling Wings

Banjo

Patrick thanks for the reply - I neglected to state that the company made sweetheart wings as well but they were in Gold. Interesting to note the pin difference. Wht is the length of yours?

John

About 3 inches long, like a regular pilot wing. Sometimes these have the BB&B hallmark.

To me, these almost look like ones from Weingart's?

Are they cast? It looks like it from the scan, but I could be wrong.

P

I am surprised to read through six pages and not find one pair of wings made by Luxemburg. When I retired on disability in 1992, I took up volunteering at our local hospital. After getting to know me for a couple years, one of the ladies I worked with presented me with her husband's uniform jacket. Howard was gone and their kids didn't care. He had been a pilot in the 3rd AF. I believe mainly an instructor pilot. Anyhow, soon thereafter (now about ten years ago), I was telling a fellow collector of her generosity and the fact the wings on the uniform were from a maker I didn't recognize. When I told him Luxemburg, he had a kitten! "Luxemburg? Do you have any idea what you have there?!?" By his reaction, you would have thought I had discovered the Holy Grail.

Ten years later, I have learned that Luxemburg wings are somewhat rare but I don't feel they are the "find of the century" Rich made them out to be. Anyhow, what is important is they are Howard's wings and will remain with his uniform long after I am dead and gone.

Tom thumbsup.gif

post-81-1200877310.jpg

post-81-1200877321.jpg

Tom,

I think that you do not see too many not because they are hard to find but expensive unless you obtain them like you did or form someone who does not know the market rate.

If I am not mistaken they were produced by Blackington...

John

Salvage Sailor

Wings presented to Leo M, Bombardier Class 45 14 B which graduated at San Angelo Army Air Field, San Angelo, Texas.

Anyone have any details as to the maker of these wings?

Bombardier_Wings.jpg

Bombardier_Wings_reverse.jpg

post-938-1201007662.jpgHere is my group of wings that I collected about 20 years ago.Russ Huff was my advisor.Sorry about the plastic bags.

What a tease!

The one on the top looks just like the White C. wing I posted.

John

Thought I would add a couple of wings here. First is a LGB pinback pilot that's on an un-named 9th AF Ike I have. The second is a Balfour navigator that has the compass rose riveted on, it's on the tan tunic of Pete Rasey who was a navigator with the 459th BG, 15th AF. Mark.

post-527-1201136024.jpgpost-527-1201136037.jpg

This is a heavy pin-back sterling Liaison pilot wing that is on a 29th Infantry Division Arty officers blouse. There is no maker mark except the raised sterling. Enjoy, Mark

post-527-1201136191.jpg

Nice wings Mark!

Here is my L wing - as you can see from the pattern it was made by LGB. This wing is supposed to have belonged to Capt. R.A. Layton 0-1167949 T42 43 A (from his dogtags)

I assume from his rank he was an Arty officer as well since I think most L pilots were SGTs... but until I can find some information on him (anyone that can help it would be appreciated) I will not know for sure.

I lucked out a couple of years ago at a flea market and bought this NS Meyers Command Pilot wing for only $5.00. It is hallmarked STERLING on one side and has the Meyers shield on the other side. It has one of those pins that doesn't open out all of the way. I'm guessing it is WW2 era. What I didn't notice until taking the photographs is that the star and wreath aren't soldiered directly to the top of the shield but to the shoulders of the wings.

post-1389-1201194231.jpg

John, I have two Liaison uniforms, on a 9th AF T/Sgt Ike and the other is the 29th Div. Capt. It seems that most of the officer 'L' pilots were Division or Corps arty guys and the Sgt's were with Liaison squadrons. That wing is a beauty, Mark.

Nice wings Mark!

Here is my L wing - as you can see from the pattern it was made by LGB. This wing is supposed to have belonged to Capt. R.A. Layton 0-1167949 T42 43 A (from his dogtags)

I assume from his rank he was an Arty officer as well since I think most L pilots were SGTs... but until I can find some information on him (anyone that can help it would be appreciated) I will not know for sure.

John, I have two Liaison uniforms, on a 9th AF T/Sgt Ike and the other is the 29th Div. Capt. It seems that most of the officer 'L' pilots were Division or Corps arty guys and the Sgt's were with Liaison squadrons. That wing is a beauty, Mark.

Thanks for the confirmation!

OK , how the heck did I miss this thread!!

Here is my favorite "set" of alphabet wings:

post-182-1201272234.jpg

post-182-1201272222.jpg

post-182-1201272211.jpg

These are all very heavy strikes, raised sterling hallmarks.

I have had others but for some reason I really like this pattern!

Paul

OK , how the heck did I miss this thread!!

Here is my favorite "set" of alphabet wings:

post-182-1201272234.jpg

post-182-1201272222.jpg

post-182-1201272211.jpg

These are all very heavy strikes, raised sterling hallmarks.

I have had others but for some reason I really like this pattern!

Paul

Nice Paul - a classic pattern! I was looking at a 1919-1920 Adams design just now and the wing is very close to his.

John

Here are a copuple of my sterling wings. Some of the ones mounted on a uniform have made an

previous appearance in the uniform section. On top are two sterling jump wings. The one at left

is an 82nd Airborne wing and the one at right is on a 101st Abn uniform that was previously

shown in the uniform section.

On the bottom are two Balfour clutch-back wings that I believe date from the Korean War era -

late 50s, These are both very heavy wings and the back is solidly filled with no depression whatsoever.

I particularly like the detail between the lower legs of the star on the senior pilot's wings.

post-1107-1201538901.jpg

post-1107-1201538932.jpg

Here are a couple more of my sterling wings. The top ones aren't really "wings" in the pure sense but they are worn where wings would be wotrn. They're gold (officer) and silver (enlisted) PT Boat badges and both are sterling; the officer one with gold overlay. I don't think they were officially allowed to be worn on the blouse and jumper but they were on both of the uniforms when I got them.

The bottom picture shows a sterling Marine SCUBA qualification badge over a pair of gold over sterling Marine para wings. These, of course, are Vietnam era.

post-1107-1201544559.jpg

post-1107-1201544575.jpg

Here are two Navy Aircrew wings. The top wings are in a shadowbox with various of my wings. The bottom pair (slightly out of focus) were photographed while on an Aviation CPO's blouse. Both have three qualification stars. The pair from the display box are Meyers. I did not open the catch on the pair that were on the blouse but I seem to remember they are also Meyers.

post-1107-1201545092.jpg

Here's a couple Naval Aviator's wings. The top picture shows two early pairs of Naval Aviator's wings. I'm not sure that the upper pair are not WW-I but am pretty sure the lower pair are early 20s.

The bottom picture shows two pairs of WW-II vintage Naval Aviator's wings. The top ones are regulation 2 3/4" size and the bottom pair are shirt-sized. All are pinback (the two top ones with "C" clasps) and all are gold over sterling.

post-1107-1201545502.jpg

post-1107-1201545509.jpg

Here's one last Naval Aviator's wing. I'll come back later with some more later but this is enough for the moment. This set belonged to a 9-victory Marine Corsair pilot, as does the uniform they're on. They are gold over sterling silver.

post-1107-1201545932.jpg

Here is a big extended family of AE Co wings. A variety of hallmarks, all sterling, most are clutch back. AE Co didnt make wings that were all that pretty. Just been finding them and putting them away. One day, I'll have the whole set.

First bunch.

post-1519-1201757307.jpg