Show your Sterling Wings

Banjo

B)-->

QUOTE(David B @ Feb 5 2007, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No maker Paul, just marked sterling.

Is there a problem with it?

Dave

Dave,

No, not that I can see, I just really like the detail. All your wings look good ( from the front anyway :D ) !

I've got to cry foul on this one Flying Tiger. Those ribbons are undoubtedly added to the uniform and are pure fantasy.

Let's see- WWII Bombardier wing with an Army Achievement medal? AND a "2" instead of the proper olc? Plus the Army Service ribbon and an overseas service ribbon (couldn't have earned them until the 1980's) and the USAF Longevity ribbon which would have required the wearer to be in a USAF blue uniform with USAF bombardier wings.

Also, the Army Good Conduct with that many knots would have made him a senior NCO by the time he had earned that many, and thus would not have made him a candidate for going to school as a bombardier.

The randomness of the ribbons and the fact that they are brand new manufacture just screams that it is a fantasy.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Allan

I would have to agree on this one. Also, I've been collecting WWII uniforms a long time, and other than General officiers I have never seen more than 2 rows of ribbons on a US WWII jacket, even if they were entitled to more ribbons. Not saying it couldn't happen ;)

Thanks for the RAPID reply!

It is a bit hard to read but can you tell me the alpha-numeric code listed under the Balfour logo?

Thanks for the RAPID reply!

It is a bit hard to read but can you tell me the alpha-numeric code listed under the Balfour logo?

It's 1/20 10KGS I-B

Any idea what the I-B stands for?

Dave

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David B @ Feb 5 2007, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

No maker Paul, just marked sterling.

Is there a problem with it?

Dave

Dave,

No, not that I can see, I just really like the detail. All your wings look good ( from the front anyway :D ) !

Thanks Paul, they seem to be the same pattern as these http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/usaaf/gunner...rdetailed.shtml

Dave

B)-->

QUOTE(David B @ Feb 5 2007, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's 1/20 10KGS I-B

Any idea what the I-B stands for?

Dave

Post ww2 (1953-54?) I think the US Gov decided to have the makers assigned codes - I have seem them on other wings - and if I am not mistaken this is the code assigned to Balfour.

Regards,

John

Thanks chaps :)

Some of you may have seen the boxed Amico wings for sale recently, they came with a slip of paper that was obviously stuck on the box at some point then mailed.

post-554-1170837854.jpg

As I am new to collecting US I'm unsure how to go about reserching the officer named on the paper, is it even possible with this small amount of info?

I've found out that Wilson Hall is a co-ed residence at Northeastern State University in Tahlequah http://www.housing.nsuok.edu/halls/wilson.html so I presume Shirley Minor was a student there.

The Savoie Provisional Group was commanded by Major William F. Savoie at Dalhart which I believe was the final training school before combat posting.

If anyone could possibly help me out with this it would be greatly appreciated, also if I'm in the wrong forum then I apologise and feel free to move it to the correct one :blush:

Here are a few of mine.

Gary

B)-->

QUOTE(David B @ Feb 7 2007, 12:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks chaps :)

Some of you may have seen the boxed Amico wings for sale recently, they came with a slip of paper that was obviously stuck on the box at some point then mailed.

post-554-1170837854.jpg

As I am new to collecting US I'm unsure how to go about reserching the officer named on the paper, is it even possible with this small amount of info?

I've found out that Wilson Hall is a co-ed residence at Northeastern State University in Tahlequah http://www.housing.nsuok.edu/halls/wilson.html so I presume Shirley Minor was a student there.

The Savoie Provisional Group was commanded by Major William F. Savoie at Dalhart which I believe was the final training school before combat posting.

If anyone could possibly help me out with this it would be greatly appreciated, also if I'm in the wrong forum then I apologise and feel free to move it to the correct one :blush:

post-96-1170897653.jpg