RAF Goggles, Mk VIII, as used by the US 8th AF.

Sabrejet

When advance units of "The Mighty Eighth" began arriving in the United Kingdom initial equipment shortages were made good from RAF stocks. Thus, USAAF airmen were equipped with such things as Type "C" flying helmets, '41 pattern boots and gauntlets and also the subject of this thread...Mk VIII goggles. These items of RAF gear were well-made and very popular with American flyers, so much so that many opted to retain them, even when US-issued equivalents later became available. Thus, it was not uncommon to see mixed British/American flight gear as late as 1944.

The Mk VIII goggles succeeded the Mk VIIs with their distinctive flip-up sun shield in '43. They were well made and are roughly comparable with US B7s in that they have hinged metal frames, a chamois-lined face cushion and an adjustable elastic strap.The faceted glass lenses are interchangeable with tinted versions being available. The goggles were issued in a box which also contained a pair of spare lenses and a tin of anti-dimming compound.

As displayed here the goggles are seen in a hypothetical set-up with a B5 helmet, A-10 mask with "Juliet" harness and HS-18 headset (no comms provision in the B-5)

post-8022-0-29959300-1413630783.jpg

post-8022-0-70543100-1413630784.jpg

Saberjet, I love it when you present an aviation tutorial as it is very informative, and well presented. I have a very large room that is aviation related. While not at the top of my list, it is a very interesting subject. Thank you. Jack Angolia

Saberjet, I love it when you present an aviation tutorial as it is very informative, and well presented. I have a very large room that is aviation related. While not at the top of my list, it is a very interesting subject. Thank you. Jack Angolia

Coming from such a distinguished collector / author as yourself I'll take that as a compliment any day of the week. Thank you sir! ;)

• 4 months later...

Nice indeed! MANY 8th and 9th AF fighter pilots seem to have preferred the RAF C Helmet and Mk Vlll Goggles. Fixing the AAF o2 mask to same was no problem. Your photos are excellent!

ViewfinderGyrene

Beautiful setup, Sabrejet. I like the A-10 with Juliet and the goggles most, pristine! The mask is one thing I haven't gotten lucky on yet :o