WW2 Machete?

kelpike

I recently acquired a machete made by Collins & Company. So far I have found out that they were made in the 40's. Most have a date on them but mine does not. Anyone know where I can find out at least what year this one would be dated to? The blade is 25" long, overall length including the handle is 31".

post-66-0-54972200-1413598203.jpg

post-66-0-17710500-1413598225.jpg

post-66-0-30992300-1413598235.jpg

post-66-0-37020900-1413598255.jpg

post-66-0-56994900-1413598266.jpg

It has an unusual grip for a military issue...

And I think they had plastic grips...

Like this one...

ka bar,

U.S. military issue machete handles were made not only of plastic materials (both, hard and soft rubber-like material like the No. 1253), but also of stacked leather (e.g. Collins No. 127 U.S. Army purchase 1904 & 1906), horn (e.g. No. 18) and wood (like the No. 1001 USMC Intrenching machete and some M-1942's).

It bothers me when I see posts like this, because we have the responsibility not to spread misinformation. If your post went unanswered and someone read it, they are probably not going to remember that you said "I think." All they will remember is that they read "somewhere" that ALL U.S. military machetes had plastic grips. Then, it becomes internet Gospel.

Hope you take this well, Mate. Glad to see you here.

GB

P.S. And yes, this is a commercial model, and no, it's not just because it doesn't have a date on it.

ka bar,

U.S. military issue machete handles were made not only of plastic materials (both, hard and soft rubber-like material like the No. 1253), but also of stacked leather (e.g. Collins No. 127 U.S. Army purchase 1904 & 1906), horn (e.g. No. 18) and wood (like the No. 1001 USMC Intrenching machete and some M-1942's).

It bothers me when I see posts like this, because we have the responsibility not to spread misinformation. If your post went unanswered and someone read it, they are probably not going to remember that you said "I think." All they will remember is that they read "somewhere" that ALL U.S. military machetes had plastic grips. Then, it becomes internet Gospel.

Hope you take this well, Mate. Glad to see you here.

GB

P.S. And yes, this is a commercial model, and no, it's not just because it doesn't have a date on it.

Hey GB...

Mate, no offence taken at all...

Machetes arent really my thing...

I agree with you about making these generalised comments...

Will leave it to the more experienced collector to make more educated comments...

Regards...Ben.

• 3 weeks later...
warcollect1942

It is Collins #190. It had to be stamped With Made in the USA because It was for export to a South American country.

I can' make out the label but it is Spanish. I am thinking 1930s.. It is not U.S. military issue.