Vietnam Reversable To Camo Souvenir Jacket

otter42

Got lucky on the way home from work tonight, stopped at a place that has items once in a blue moon, well I guess the moon was out for me today! Really like the duck hunter type camo, I haven't seen one like this before, any comments? Ken

post-4732-0-72032700-1413506918.jpg

post-4732-0-75590600-1413506933.jpg

Otter42-Just a thought the camo may be WWII parachute material ( if silk or nylon ). When I was across the pond I saw a lot parachute material used to make stuff, such as ascots or to cover thicker material to make bush covers. Poncho liner material was also used. My 2 cents worth. Nice find. Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the info, it is a silk like material, but very light weight, and doesn't seem to be the quality of a parachute. Thanks for the post, Ken

vintageproductions

Lots of items were made in Korea for Vietnam soldiers / Airmen, etc.

The embroidery is Korean.

The camo is a ROK pattern.

That type nylon is seen in way more Korean items, then Vietnamese made items.

I also would like to know about why Korean made. As I remember you took a poncho liner or Mitchell shelter half to the local sewing person to get clothing items. Not trying to argue or say your wrong, just trying to learn. I'm just thinking that it may be more expensive. Could it be a guy assigned to Korea after a tour in Nam? Thank you for educating me. Dave

thefallenbuddha

Today, if you go to a clothing store in Vietnam you can find Korean made garments, if you go to Japan you can find the same, and in Korea you can find Vietnam and Japan made clothing, as well as Japan garments in Vietnam and Vietnam garments in Japan.

Commerce is a fluid thing, and the same was true "back then" as well as now.

Businesses in all these places served the same military personnel during the war, and any number of business relationships were made.

Also, many of these jackets were not custom made. Especially, one like this, which just reads "Vietnam" with a map.

vintageproductions

These type jackets were made in Korea, Vietnam, Thailand, Japan, Philippines, Guam, etc.., and sold to guys serving in Vietnam or to jobbers who sold them in Vietnam.

The vast majority of these type tour jackets were mass produced to be sold to GI's. The ones that were custom made were the type with units, aircraft, back patches, etc. The above is a very generic design.

Thanks I was there and didn't even know that. I learn so much on this forum. You guys are not only informative but kind and helpful. Dave

And yes, you had "Vietnam" souvenirs being sold to soldiers who had rotated out of Vietnam and into Korea. You will find that as the explanation for a number of novelty patches, including a lot of the 1st Cav motto patches. Keep in mind you had Vietnam vets serving in Korea for decades, but especially in the 1960's, 1970's and well into the 1980's.